Questions on TRP's

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I have not yet used a TRP in CM and i was wondering what your experiences are. Are they a waste of purchase points or do they really make a difference?

I need help to understand how they work in CM so here are some questions:

Can you use the TRP for onboard mortars and Spotters? or only for Spotters?

Do you have to have LOS to the TRP?

Do you need to have a HQ unit with LoS?

I read somewhere that you must not move your spotter/mortar unit from their start location otherwise the TRP will not work - is this correct?

Is there any maximum range?

Is there a limit to the size of the Arty that can be called into a TRP? Min or Max?

Does it help with the woefull inacuracy of Rockets?

I have read the manual when i first got the game.....but if i remember correctly the TRP info was a little light.

Thanks in advance,

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Here is one official:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Simply target artillery on the marker itself. That's all there is too it <http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/smile.gif> The benefits of firing on that location are automatic. They are faster fire for effect and greater accuracy. Any on map artillery/mortar piece that has not been moved since the beginning of the game can fire at it indirectly (i.e. without line of sight).

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, personally, I have never tried one so. AFAIK, no LOS and HQ is needed. I am not sure about if it can also kill a AFV with 1 shot this way.

TRP has been discussed a lot since the Gold Demo days, I suggest you do some searches. wink.gif

Hope it helps.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 11-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

Can you use the TRP for onboard mortars and Spotters? or only for Spotters?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Do you have to have LOS to the TRP?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

onboard mortars will need LOS. However, if they are in command of a HQ unit, only the HQ needs LOS.

Do you need to have a HQ unit with LoS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, unless the HQ is spotting the onboard mortars.

I read somewhere that you must not move your spotter/mortar unit from their start location otherwise the TRP will not work - is this correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spotter may move. Onboard mortars, once moved, will lose the benefit of the TRP

Is there any maximum range?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Is there a limit to the size of the Arty that can be called into a TRP? Min or Max?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Does it help with the woefull inacuracy of Rockets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know. Probably not.

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

Can you use the TRP for onboard mortars and Spotters? or only for Spotters?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both.

Do you have to have LOS to the TRP?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

onboard mortars will need LOS. However, if they are in command of a HQ unit, only the HQ needs LOS.

Colin says: Onboard mortars do NOT need LOS unless they have been moved from their starting position. The calculations to fire on that TRP have already been made and they're screwed if you move.

I read somewhere that you must not move your spotter/mortar unit from their start location otherwise the TRP will not work - is this correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spotter may move. Onboard mortars, once moved, will lose the benefit of the TRP

Does it help with the woefull inacuracy of Rockets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know. Probably not.

Colin says: Yup. It'll make it far more accurate. However 'far more accurate' with rockets is still horribly inaccurate. smile.gif

TRP's are generally worth the 30 pts you put into them if you place them correctly. They're a waste if nothing goes near them.

Put them in large groups of tree and in approaches to VLs.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

No LOS is required for a TRP. That's the entire point of the exercise: the shot has been calculated beforehand down to the centimeter relative to the position of any artillery unit which chooses to fire at the TRP, and therefore LOS (via indirect fire) is assumed.

However. If an artillery unit moves, then it loses forever its ability to fire at the TRP--except, of course, unless it happens to move within normal LOS of the TRP, in which case fire is conducted normally.

Thanks for all the info, during my lunch time i also did a search and found some other info. But what you have written here is easily understood. Thanks.

In my next game i think i will try it out and see how it goes.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Yes, except for the small detail that all of the shells are gonna fall on and around that one tiny spot on the map. Should the enemy oblige and march right on over to that spot and park his rear until your ordnance arrives then all's well and good.

Otherwise . . . . smile.gif

So, barring very special cases where you know where the enemy has to be, it's a little bit like placing a white chip or two on 00 for the hell of it.

Weeeeell...terrain analysis is pretty handy for figuring out where a guy's gonna be. If he needs to advance infantry through cover, slap a TRP on patches of woods that look like good jumping off points to your defenses. If it's a heavily wooded map through which he needs to advance armor/mechanized forces, put TRPs in clearings and along roads. Dunno, I've bought four or five every time I've had the opportunity, and they've always served me well.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Weeeeell...terrain analysis is pretty handy for figuring out where a guy's gonna be.

You mean like the time I carefully planned a coordinated assault with a platoon of veteran infantry backed up by a couple of tanks and a machine gun and a mortar on an enemy platoon dug into their foxholes in a copse of trees . . . only to see Sergeant Tucker maniacally order his men to CHARRRRRGE!!! the enemy after taking a few piddly rounds of fire and get everyone slaughtered to the last man before they'd made the treeline?

If he needs to advance infantry through cover, slap a TRP on patches of woods that look like good jumping off points to your defenses.

On the maps I play on there are any number of these likely "patches of woods" you so shrewdly observe. Do you buy your TRP's a dozen at a time? smile.gif

If it's a heavily wooded map through which he needs to advance armor/mechanized forces, put TRPs in clearings and along roads. Dunno, I've bought four or five every time I've had the opportunity, and they've always served me well.

Well, I must say I was at first disappointed not to have been afforded TRP's in the Stoumont scenario I finished the other night. That crossroad directly to the front of the town looked just too inviting for Jerry to pass up, but with heavy fog a TRP's the only way to get to it with much of anything. As it turned out, though, I needed nothing of the kind after the first 20 minutes of battle. (I was able to hold everything back until the Germans had finished emulating the famous "divide your command in three and charge like hell with your main force down into the river bottom Custer maneuver," at which juncture the old "It's a good day to die" philosophy sprang into my head and away we all went whoop-whoop-whooping! like the bunch of crazy savages we were. The resultant carnage was magnificent to behold. Seven Panthers, two MkIV's and five sundries all galloped off to that great happy hunting ground in the sky.

[This message has been edited by Tris (edited 11-20-2000).]

If you're planning on using lots of rockets, or any other heavy artillery, or coscript/green arty spotters, then a TRP will do wonders.

Response time drops from several minutes to about one minute or less. And part of the pattern will cover the actual target point...

The worst arty combination I've ever used was a conscript 75mm arty spotter without TRP. Response time was well in excess of 6 minutes, and what comes down is less effective than the 81mm mortar...

Cheers

Olle

Since QB's come with a practical limit on what one can buy, and with every scenario I've seen to date designed with something less than the sort of preplanned artillery orgasm you've bothered to suggest, it still boils down pretty much to this: is a (as in o-n-e) TRP worth buying? And the answer's still the same: do you feel lucky today?

(Still wish I'd had a couple at Stoumont in that fog, though.)