OT: Current readyness posture.

Reasons aside as to why we would need to get forces there...

There are already assets from the Navy and AirForce in the Persian Gulf. In Aden right now is a battalion of Marines aboard their assault ship(s). I'm not sure what Army units may be in Kuwait at the moment (a battalion or less).

Basically within a week - if the US was really pressed to get forces there - an airborne division (not paradropped though) could be there in a week, along with a couple of battalions of Marines and other air-transportable Army units. There is pre-positioned equipment in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait along with MPS ships (with about a division's worth of heavy equipment on board) in the Indian Ocean region (which would take about a week or more to get to an off-loadable port).

It really depends on the mission and how large of a force the US wants to put in the region.

There is at least a brigades worth of heavy armor in Kuwait the last I heard(this was from someone in 3rd ID from Ft. Stewart),however the personnel to man it would have be flown in from the States. There is also pre-positioned equiptment at Diego Garcia but I don't know how much. The 101st Airborne could also be there along with the units Schullenraft mentioned.

Technically the US could bring to bear an entire Carrier Group. The timetable would be short because there is one near I believe. Another carrier group could steam shortly thereafter and the Pacific group would still be out there but I doubt we would commit it. Also the Marines are at a ready state and we still have air assets near in Saudi Arabia and Germany and France I believe. It is not a threat of war but of mass destruction that is the fear. America still has the strongest military but we do need to improve it now not later. Later

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

Our Air Force can mobilize and deploy a full figher wing in under 72 hours. All active duty units maintain this readiness posture. As a key element of our expeditionary force concept, we have an on-call combat forces that can put bombs on target well inside the 72 hour mark.