front turret penetration but no kill?!

I read once in Normandy that a Cromwell came around the corner of a road and there was a Tiger sitting only a couple of hundred metres away. The Tiger fired an AP shot that went through the mantlet and out the back of the turret without hitting anybody. The Cromwell reversed out of danger with the crews' ears ringing...

[This message has been edited by Kevin Peltz (edited 07-13-2000).]

All I can say is... Sheeesh! rolleyes.gif

I guess it just went right through the Sherman's turret.

Hmmm I need bigger caliber guns, this 75mm just doesn't cut it. Oh, maybe it cuts too well and it goes right through! smile.gif

Maybe I should use tin shells to make sure they don't go right through the Shermans' turrets, this is a disappointing turn of events... biggrin.gif

Yah I was at Chapters (Canadian store yay!) and was reading about German tanks. They were talking about the very popular '80's' AA guns. They said that the shell often went into one side of a tank and went out the other. (Most of the time though it disabled the tank).

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bastables:

Don't suppose any one knows if the small HE charge in the AP shells of the German and Americans are factored in the penetrations?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bastables, there was a long discussion wiht lots of detail on the subject a couple of months back (no comments on what remembering that says about the excitement in my life, please). Try a search or cry for help from Jason and the Searchonauts.

Andreas (Searchonaut wannabe)

Yesterday, my bazooka team hit a bloody half-track _four_ times and the only result was immobilization. I play with detailed hits off so I don't know what exactly happened to those shots. (And yes, they were hits. In addition the team missed two shots).

- Tommi

I love this feature! Better still ,the "Penetration, one casualty" results. Thinking about it, though, I can remember it happening a lot with heavier tanks, but not so much with the smaller stuff (light tanks, HTs, etc.). Anyone else noticed this or am I a statistical anomaly?

(no rude comments, please! biggrin.gif )

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Hey Moriarty, that's my line! wink.gif

At least the Coen brothers' take on it.

But I agree, it is so appropriate for the fascination that is Combat Mission.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Don't suppose any one knows if the small HE charge in the AP shells of the German and Americans are factored in the penetrations? As opposed to treating all penetrations as solid shot ones, as seen in Panzer Elite?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRCC, Charles has stated that it does not factor in to the PENETRATION but it DOES factor into the damage caused IF the shell actually penetrates, which is the most realistic IMO. I am not sure but I think I also read that these AT-HE rounds actually have a slightly reduced penetration with an increased damage effect IF they penetrate (with the opposite being the case with 'solid' shot)

But, I think I saw Charles post about this once upon a time but I could have dreamed it... smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Big Time Software

It's possible to have turret penetrations with no casualties. However, I think it happens a little too often so I'm tweaking it in v1.03.

Charles

Hmm was the crew of the tank in question (the one hit) given a status ailment alla shocked? Or where they ok... cuz I know that if I was in a tank, and it got hit, the slug passing right past me, I would wanna backpeddle as fast as I could till I knew I was alive LOL... Course I could also see myself poking my finger into the hole and laughing for ten minutes too...