Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Bridge at Ramagen

Id like to make a historical scenario involving the capture of the Bridge at Ramagen circa 1944. If anyone could provide a good force mix, and/or maps (I have basic ones but would like to know specific #'s of platoons and American/German armoured forces) I would greatly appreciate it.

My email is the-desert-fox@home.com . I dont have any books on it because I mainly study the Eastern Front, but Im hoping some of you do! wink.gif

------------------

Club SSI Combat Mission Discussion

The capture of the Ludendorf bridge at the town of Remagen actually took place during March of 1945. There was a pretty good movie made on the topic called "The Bridge at Remagen" with George Segal and Ben Gazzara back in 1965. It's available on video and it's on TV once in a while. That might be a good place to start. I think it was elements of the US 7th Armored Div. that took part in the capture. Not sure about the Germans.

Guest Michael emrys

The feature article of a back issue of After the Battle magazine was devoted to a detailed examination of this topic. Specifically, if you go to http://www.afterthebattle.mcmail.com/ab-con1.html and look for issue #16 you can order a copy.

There are many issues devoted to topics of great interest to CM gamers like Arnem and the Falaise Gap. Highly recommended.

There is also a book called The Bridge at Remagen. I forget the author's name, but I expect you could track it down at someplace like Amazon.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-20-2000).]

Why don't you go to Amazon.com and do a search for "Bridge at Remagen", or something like that. I remember there was a book by that name, or close to it, published in the late '60s'. If it is not in print anymore, do a search by subject and see what you get. Even check your local library.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

By the way, your going to have trouble doing an accurate scenario on this as there was a railway tunnel at the far end of the bridge that the Germans used for cover and they tried to blow up the bridge with demolitian charges. Both of these issues are not modeled in the game, but good luck anyway.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Per Russell Weigley's "Eisenhower's Lieutenants", the 9th Armoured Division captured the bridge. They used some of the new Pershings to suppress the infantry so that the infantry and engineers could rush it. Later, the 9th Infantry Division went across and the battle of the bridgehead began. Only references for the Germans that I came across were 20mm flak guns and later, an attack by the 11th Panzer Division..

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mscano:

The capture of the Ludendorf bridge at the town of Remagen actually took place during March of 1945. There was a pretty good movie made on the topic called "The Bridge at Remagen" with George Segal and Ben Gazzara back in 1965. It's available on video and it's on TV once in a while. That might be a good place to start. I think it was elements of the US 7th Armored Div. that took part in the capture. Not sure about the Germans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I watched it on TV yesteday afternoon..

Henri

You could probably model a railroad tunnel with two parallel lines of cliffs and a tall pine forest inside; make do without railroad tracks inside the tunnel unless you can place RR and forest in the same space. Maybe further cliffs to prevent infantry from getting on top and shooting down or maybe placing some bocage on top right at the edge to prevent LOS downwards. Might look kind of ugly though smile.gif

As an unique feature of this "battle" the Luftwaffe actually made over 300 sorties against the bridge (after it was captured). The area was crammed full with American AA elements, though I can't recall how many aircraft were shot down (if any). Anyway, this is off the top of my head and subject to severe inaccuracy.

I think the biggest part of the engagement involving this bridge was on the eastern side of the river in the bridgehead.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 08-21-2000).]

I have searched at Amazon, the problem is I searched after I went on a spending spree at several department stores, and Amazon itself. I just got the idea a few days ago and I plan on going to the local library to get some maps and the OOB's and a correct turn limit. Thanks for your recommendations and suggestions. smile.gif

------------------

Club SSI Combat Mission Discussion

My Dad was with the 99th when they took the bridge! I'll get with him and figure out his favorite reference and post it here by week's end. If you create the scenario, please post; He'll get a kick outa doin it again against me. This is so cool. He's not gonna believe it.

Guest Molyneaux2

I believe the book was written by my fellow West Virginian, Ken Heckler. He is was there and is still around, serving in the WV govt last I heard.