Reinforcements

I must agree. Its not entirely realistic to surround an empty patch of grass by the map edge simply beacuse you know a panther will arrive there. Location / timing, and to a point, the reinforcements themselves should be randomized.

GAFF

Guest Scott Clinton

<HTML>

Player chosen placement of reinforcements would be okay with me as long as it had a few rules attached.</P>

Reinforcement placements should at least be restricted by:</P>

1. <LI>Placement for reinforcements must be decided upon initial setup (i.e. BEFORE turn 1...not when they arrive).</LI>
    <LI>Time penalties applied for placement farther away from the center of the 'placement zone' as defined by the designer.</LI>
    <LI>Scenario design (example: Only the North board edge if defined by the designer)</LI>

Without at LEAST these three restrictions allowing the player more control over the arrival point of reinforcements would be way too 'gamey'.</P>

All this is mute as far as CM is considered perhaps CM2+.</P>

</HTML>

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Absolutely right, the placement should be random, or random of one of 3-5 places. The last VoT game I played against the AI, I charged 4 Sherms up the hill on turn 16, and waited for the Panther. KOd him on the first shot, and panicked or killed all the infantry. I could never have done this if I didn't know where he was coming from.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

In agreement with Harv on this one...

Besides,it seems that the DYO battle will

become the standard battlefield for PBEM.

just imagine...blind matches,every game!

I think the reinforcement entry point thing needs to be examined. Having them come in at the same place all the time definitely cuts down on the replayability of the scenario. I would also like to have the player have some control over where they come in if it isn't going to be randomized. But like Scott said, I think there will need to be some rules imposed if players are going to choose where the reinforcments come in.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Okay, looking back at that post, it was a little out of character. Still, I find the idea of placing troops to plug the expected reinforcements somewhat gamey. I do not object, however, to my opponent "protecting" his investments from the anticipated reinforcements... I mean, how can we humanly pretend we do not know they are coming?

Jonathan