Your favorite type of infantry

Hello grogs and grogets,

Being a relative newbie to CM and complex 300 word German names in general, I was wondering what you fellows think is the best or simply your favorite infantry type.

By type I don't mean type as in "flamethrower" or "arty spotter", but as in Volksgrenadiers (I know I butchered the spelling) or some of their Allied counterparts. Which do you think has the best weapon mix, which performs best, etc.

I've had a few PBEM's now where I simply looked over the names of the Germans and Allied infantry names in wonder, and at their many weapon mixes.

So If you guys can help with your likes and dislikes, I'll be very greatful. And if you can't, I know where you live.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I was wondering what you fellows think is the best or simply your favorite infantry type.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any squad with an organic ranged AT-weapon is fine. That means the Germans. For sheer fp, you can´t beat the Gebirgsjägers. Nasty things. OTOH, Sturmtruppen are nice with 13 men/squad which also makes a US Pioneer squad (12/squad) pretty awful to run into.

The brit paras look cool, as does the fallschirmjägers.

Sorry, I don´t have one favorite, it depends on what I want them to do and in what terrain I want them to do it.

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

Sturmkompanie, kick ass all the way. to bad one can not buy them in platoon size bites... *sigh*

my favorate Alllied Troops are the ones lying dead on the field smile.gif

nbs, canadian rifle platoons with an extra case of Labatt's in the Jeep and 10Kg backbacon to boot!

The most versatile all-purpose infantry units are the Engineer/Pioneers.

They can do serious bunker- and tank busting and they're also the only ones that can clear up mine fields.

Their only downside is that they are expensive, and only really needed for attacks on prepared positions.

Otherwise I don't have any favourites, but tend to use what seems appropriate for the scenario.

Cheers

Olle

Guest KarlXII

As for the Germans the motorized panzergrenadiers are good allround troops and their companies come with 4 HMG42s and 2 81mm mort. which is nice. As mentioned above the airborne troops usually pack alot of close in punch which makes them ideal for ambushes and other close in fighting.

As Allies I usually pick US rifle for their good allround capability. Brit. Airborne are nice though. wink.gif

------------------

Fire for effect!

I try to consider what distance I'll be fighting at. For close range, SMG-carrying squads (Axis: Gebirgsjager & Fallschirmjager, Allied: US Para), for distance squads with a more even firepower balance, like Sturmtruppen, or regular rifle squads. One of the best squads I ever had was a Volksgrenadier SMG squad, that I deployed in the back corner of a building. Allied troops run in, nothing runs out. I think it had something like 54 kills by the end of the game.

Oh yeah, and I hate the Brit type squads, with no AT weaponry.

German Paras - good firepower medium range, great at short range and when buying companies - you get a shreck attached to every platoon and an 81mm FO! A bit expensive though!

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy