My PC is freaking out, help.

Guest PeterNZ

Guest PeterNZ

Ok, since I moved to Auckland from Wellington i can't run any 3dfx type games.

Maybe my card broke enroute?

- Windows reckons it's fine

- But no 3dfx based game will get past the 'click click' of the voodoo 1 turning on.

Also

- I have an 'unknown device' that keeps installing and finding no drivers!!! aRGggGGG what is it?

- Under scsi controllers "Shutle EPAT external ATAPI Adaptor" is yellow exclamationed, (reinstalling does nothing). Also, when i'm in control panel, and say, double click on sound, or multi-media i get a major lock up and ctrl + alt + del gives me a msqrv32 (think thats it) not responding

- my web cam isn't plugged in, (USB port one), but that shouldn't change whether my 3dfx games will load or not eh

ideas anyone? frown.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

.C O M B A T. .V I S I O N.

* Film From The Front *

http://combatvision.panzershark.com/

Didn't quite make it to London yet ?

The "Shuttle EPAT external ATAPI Adaptor" is a parallel port to IDE device driver. Do you have an external CDROM/Zip/LS-120/Hard drive that you hook to your parallel port ? If not, then a piece of hardware that you installed drivers for installed this by default (even if it doesn't use it, the manufacturer is covering all bases by installing all variants of the driver). If you're sure that you don't hook up something to your parallel port (other than your printer), then you can probably highlight this driver and click "Remove".

As for your VooDoo 1 disappearing... I'm not sure where in the Device Manager it would pop up. I'm guessing that it may show up under "Multimedia Devices" (though I'm not sure what name it would go by).

The "Unknown Device" that keeps on popping up (and is listed in the Device Manager with a big yellow question mark icon) may be your VooDoo 1. I would suggest deleting this item (the same way you did with the EPAT driver). On your next reboot you will need your drivers for your VooDoo ready and when the Unknown device is discovered again you can point it to the directory or CD (probably the root of the CD) and hopefully the drivers should correspond to your Unknown device.

Let us know what works.

Guest MajorH

If nothing more subtle helps I recommend the brute force solution.

Turn off your computer and turn off every peripheral device that is plugged into it (printers, etc).

Open up your computer case and pull each card out of its slot and then reinsert it to insure that it is seated firmly in its slot. Maybe one of them vibrated slightly out of its slot during your move.

Close up your computer case and plug every peripheral device back into it that you use.

Turn on all peripheral devices.

Turn on your comptuer.

Reinstall Windows.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Sure sounds like it's an issue with your Voodoo card. Perhaps it became partially unseated during the move?

I would try removing all drivers referencing the Voodoo card from the pc (including the unknown devices) then shutdown Windows and power off the pc. Remove the Voodoo card and startup Windows to see what, if any, new devices are detected. (Hopefully none.) If you're running Windows 95, then I believe the USB device doesn't load properly and will show up as an unknown device. Some motherboard manufactures have a patch for that though. (I had limited success with my old ABIT board when I tried their patch though and have since upgraded.) With Win98 though, the USB should load/function normally.

After booting, deal with any unknown drivers, etc. "before" you put the Voodoo card in. Once settled, put your Voodoo card in and it should be detected on bootup and you can install it like it was a brand new card/purchase.

I had an issue with one of my Canopus Voodoo II cards once where in 3Dfx mode, all colors were terribly washed out. I reflashed the cards BIOS and it took care of it. (I'm guessing either a surge during power on or static, etc. caused this problem for me.) Not sure if reflashing your BIOS is possible with your setup, but you might keep it in mind if all else fails.

Hope you get it going.

Peter, if you do start removing cards, please make sure you put them back in the same slots they came out of. If you don't, Windows will see them as brand new devices and you'll have to re-install all the stuff for them (or at least tell Windows where to look for the already-extant drivers)

Of course, re-installing your Voodoo card completely might do it. My Micron PC (bought July 1997) gave blank screen on start up; it turned out the graphics card (lowly Stealth 3D Pro; yech) had shifted in its socket. Pulling out and pushing back in (uuhh...er...that sounded bad) did the trick.

DjB

Guest PeterNZ

weird.

all works just dandy now! redface.gif

Ran norton system works over it..

disk doctor found some stuffed up stuff, which it fixed, plugged the cam back in.. and fiddled, and now it all works just dandy!

weird huh?

PeterNZ