PBEM Sequence?

-E

Out of curiosity, why wasn't the sequencing simplified to something like...

1. Attacker views replay, plots turn.

2. Defender plots turn, views replay.

3. Repeat as necessary.

As it is described in the manual, seems kind of an odd way of PBEM.

If everyone in the world was as honest as you and me it could have been done that way wink.gif

Point nr 2 is a problem.

If defender(2) isnt satesfied with the result/movie, he can reload the file he got from the attacker(1), replot hes moves, watch movie...

Repeat until satesfactory results are achieved.

[This message has been edited by Buzzer (edited 09-17-2000).]

I kind of wish we had a choice. If playing in pickup game, or with any player that you don't personally know, then the current system is a good attempt to minimize cheating. For games against friends (I mean real life friends that you really know), a simplified system would be welcome.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Compassion:

I kind of wish we had a choice. If playing in pickup game, or with any player that you don't personally know, then the current system is a good attempt to minimize cheating. For games against friends (I mean real life friends that you really know), a simplified system would be welcome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trade passwords.

It would cut down the emails by 33%. It took me while to get over this point (with the beta) but I still wish there was a option.

The only problem with an option is you might insult someone if you insit on playing the current way. So they might as well keep it the way it is so I don't make Berli cry.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Damn...I just remembered. During a hotseat with Peng we figured if you set the game up as a hotseat instead of a PBEM then you could just send the save files. You have to REALLY trust the person you are playing because someone will always be able to see the others stuff when the save file is opened.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

I'm new to CMBO, so I'm wondering what the "delay" is that is being discussed. Haven't PBEM'd yet, but I'm looking to. Since I haven't tried it yet, you all have the upper hand. I looked at it, and thought it fairly simple. Just enter the password. What am I missing, or what do I need to know.

Thanks

Bruno - The "delay" others are talking about here is a result of anti-cheating measures in the PBEM sequence. When you PBEM, you'll receive a turn and, depending on the sequence either:

Plot orders

Watch a movie

Watch a movie, then plot orders

Naturally, this is slower than the "plot and watch" of singleplayer turns. As noted above, with some compromises in security you could cut this down to 2 emails per turn... but it's the 3 email per turn "delay" that people are talking about here.

Panzer Man - They're just .txt files. I'm really stuck, I don't know what your problem could be.

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 09-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Man:

Im having no luck at all downloading the files from PBEM'ers...What format are the files in? I recvd a .txt file.Saved it into the PBEM folder and tried to access it in CM,no luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the files are supposed to be .txt files. Just select "Join Multiplayer" from the main menu and then "Load E-mail".

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaakko Harlas:

Just select "Join Multiplayer" from the main menu and then "Load E-mail".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the file is OK, this will work - but a LOT of bad things can happen to a file, including having gunk inserted by any of the programs that handle it along the way. One mistake I made sometimes was saving the file before it had completely downloaded - thus chopping of the end. Everything looked OK when I glanced at the top of the file - it wasn't until I started looking at the end and realized what I had done.