Pre-purchase question

Behemoth

Hello,

I've chewed through the demo and really liked the clean interface and detailed gameplay of Tacops. I was wondering what the longevity of this game is from my perspective. I'm a busy student right now and I don't see multi-play in my very near future, so my question is how much is there to the single player component? As in: how many scenarios, how long are they, how many (roughly) alternate outcomes are there? What I mean by this is; from the demo I gather there are a lot of "random" forking paths the Ai can take which lends itself greatly to replay, are these common in all the scenarios? If someone has the time to let me know what, along these lines, the game has to offer I'd really appreciiate it, thx in advance. Thanks also to Major H., This Demo looks great, so I know there was hard work involved.

-Chris

Well, it depends on what you are looking for and what you are used to.

TacOps's programmed opponent cannot play user-made scenarios (but user-modified scenarios) so that puts a stop bejond what ships with the CD. You can get pretty good variance out of exchanging the Blue (your) forces though.

However the TacOps programmed opponent uses the scripting it requires to actually attack decently and is not deer-in-headlights on defense.

Or in other words: if you want the PO to attack but get bored easily but stupid attacks then the scenarios shipping with TacOps will last longer than endless scenarios with a stupid AI.

Chris,

I played exclusively solitare for several years and have always enjoyed the game. As said previously by changing the blue side you get a diffent battle even if the OPFOR acts in about the same manor. You also can add optional units to the OPFOR to increase the difficulty level. With v4 PBEM is very easy. Even on a busy schedule you can have a game cooking. I have a guy I just finished a game with that we have exchanged turns only a couple of times a week on average so there are many options out there.

Dennis

A file named "Guide - Scenarios.pdf" was included with the demo version. Take a look at it. You will find a summary of every US and Canadian scenario and scenario variant that comes with the full version. Most scenarios have multiple possible opening moves for the Red force. Which Red opening move is used in a given game session is a random event.

I think you will get your money's worth. smile.gif

Thx people you've been most helpful. O.T. James Sterrett are you the same Sterrett that did the Steel Beast's Recog. guide? If so... Nice job and fun reading. This game and Steel Beasts (although different companies I know) really compliment each other. Anyways thank you everyone you helped me make my mind up.

-Chris

• 2 months later...

Let me weigh in on this, even if a tad tardy.

I am an old Cav guy who spent a few years patrolling the Meinnigan Gap and learned armored tactics from the jump seat of a Bradley.

I flat out love this game. I have played a lot of armored sims both professionally and just for fun. This one has the easiest interface and cleanest game play of any of the "real" sims. I bought the original about ten years ago. I have used this as a tool to teach Transportation Corps Lts the joys of resupply in the fight and have used it in an Aviation TOC to teach young Ops soldiers how to battletrack.

I have played it hundreds upon hundreds of times. I have map 001 burned into my brain, I know all the little spurs to hide behind to ambush the OPFOR with dismounts. The variables that the players can easily set make this the most highly replayable game I have ever seen. Every time I think I'm Sun Tsu, I pump the OPFOR to its max and cut my offboard arty... I'm soon reminded that I'm a middle aged German guy and not a thousand year old Chinese master.

I was just out in the sandbox playing it for fun and one of my young clerk/typist types saw me. I had him hooked within 15 minutes. It's just the (almost) perfect game. Hell the Major ought to put me on the payroll. I bet I have sold 20+ copies over the years. Any student or fan of modern battle can use it.

*climbs off soapbox*

Thank you

[ April 11, 2005, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Cav Man Craig ]