75mm vs 57mm - which is better for killing tanks?

I believe that the 57mm was a little better AT wise than the 75mm that was mounted on the Sherman.

The 75mm has a vastly beter HE shell, though. I think that is why many cehicles were switched from the 6pdr (57mm) to the 75mm gun.

Jason

The 75mm M2 and M3 gun looks to be inferior in all sources, even when the 6 pounder is using basic ammunition. When the latter is loaded with APDS the lead opens up further. I think I remember reading that the APDS rounds were quite a bit less accurate though, strangely enough... Manufacturing problems mayhap.

While on the subject...

The 75mm Mk V used in British tanks had about the same modest penetration capabilities as the US counterpart when using the standard APC round. However there is one or two sources indicating the presence of a APCBC round, which looks to have been quite a bit more powerful (plus 50% actually).

Now, the problem is that this gun, for some reason, is almost never listed in the myriad of gun performance charts available. And hard facts are hard to come by when it comes to British tanks.

Anyone out there have any more info on this gun or the APCBC round and it’s prevalence at the time of the campaign in the west?

M smile.gif

I was interested in general.

But I guess it really matters only for Alllies. Germans did not have a need for heavy AT weapons on Western front.

So I see that 57mm is better then 75mm for allies.

What about StuG 75mm vs German 57 AT gun?

Guest KwazyDog

Im going from memory but I believe in CM the 57mm firing an AT round is almost excatly the same as the Sherman 75mm AT.

If I recall the 57mm does do a couple mm's extra, especially at close range. Considering how many other factors are taken into account in CM though, whats a mm here and there smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

Actually, just to add to that, the HE blast power of the 75mm is almost double that of the 57mm. The 75mm is a great building knocker overer wink.gif