Chance Encounter

I played chance encounter last night as the Germans with the Americans up 25%. It turned out rather badly for me, in part from bad luck and in part from mistakes. However what I was looking for is a quick discussion of tactics for this map. I figure most of you have PBEM this map to death so you might have some ideas.

My principal idea in this was a force in the woods on the German right to just hold that, a force of just under 2 platoons right behind the church and in the trees a bit further behind the church, and the rest in a large left hook to flank the American infantry and tanks.

My flank started well but I think I should have moved up and then set ambushes, as is I wandered into a moving American column. My jerries made a good showing but were mowed down. I setup a small armor ambush on the island of trees just short of the big forest on the allied right, but my stugs got taken out by the Shermans as the came through the light trees and my shreks were VERY unlucky.

Has anyone tried this strategy. I'm also worried about how to hold the church, my original plan was to let the Americans come and then rush into it (thus saving me from being pummeled by the guns of the Shermans) while my force on the left helped out with flanking fire.

Any thoughts you guys have would be very interesting to see.

Playing against the computer opponent, I did something much like you suggested. I had a force in the woods on the German right, two platoons to quickly get to and hold the church, and one platoon with weapons support and the armor to come up the treeline on the left side.

The Americans were routed. The AI opponent came up the middle and through the sparse trees. There wasn't any attempt to get into the farmhouse next to the wheat field. Mortar fire took its toll on the Americans in the woods, and the five Shermans fell to StuGs (2-3?) and Panzerfausts (2?-3). After some unsuccessful American assaults on the Church, it was set on fire, forcing the Germans to abandon it. Eventually the Americans started to crack, and a German counterattack from the woods on the right carried the day, supported by the remaining StuG from the left.

I'll hold off on the PBEM game, not sure I want to get thumped so badly right out of the gate *grin*.

So this tactic has had some success it seems. Hmm, perhaps I'll try it again, but man with +25% for the allies they get an EXTRA tank..as if they needed more

Thomasz (possible spoilers {for CE anyway})-

I've only played against the AI, and only 4 or 5 times, and the most consistant thing that's happened is that the woods on the ridge are a deathtrap for the Americans. I've been unable to take the woods as the U.S. if the Germans are there already, and if I get the Americans in there first, I have a tough time holding them against the Germans - I've done it but it's bloody. At the ranges combat is taking place in the woods, the Green German troops appear to matter far less than those verdamnt SMGs they're carrying! Ouch!

So my short answer/suggestion is forget everything else and hold the woods, entice the Americans in there (as the Germans) and cut them down. As the U.S. - send some scouts in there, locate the German positions and then fire every shell you can into those woods. Keep a Sherman or two for flank security and empty the rest at the woods.

-dale

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Yeah, pretty much the same principles for me. A huge left hook as the Germans works almost every time against the AI.

The Conscript platoon only to hold the German right. Two MG42s+Company HQ to quickly get to the church and attract enemy fire. All the rest, on my left flank.

The idea is that the Sherman tanks cannot get to my infantry there and I can outnumber the Americans, and I have Stug support fire!!

To take out the Shermans is another question...Results do vary, but PanzerFausts are usually my biggest tank killers.

hehe..iggi...I said:

Germans simply CAN'T beat the Amis in Chance Encounter

ok....if you wish...I will take the Amis..send me your file bud!

anyway I can't assure you to end before the end of June coz in July, August and September I will be on vacations...