Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What kinds of campains?

Guest Robert/1

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Com'on dude, lets get with the program in your spelling.

"Campaigns," not "campains". No it doesn't hurt to say "campaign".

"Series," not "seares". We're not going shopping here. You know the department store SEARS??

And once again, CM doesn't have campaigns as such. It has Operations which consist of a series of scenario-sized skirmishes that take place on one large map, with fluid or dynamic front lines. Win a battle, gain ground. Lose a battle, lose ground. Between each skirmish, you will be able to receive replacements, rest, and/or recover and repair damaged vehicles (if they haven't been "brewed" that is).

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 05-21-2000).]

Guest Pham

A) English in not the primary language of everyone who frequents(or will frequent) this board. (No idea if this is the case for the original poster, but way to pointlessly nit-pick OBG)

B)With the gold demo and final product coming out, more new people will access the board to find out what the fuss is about, and with questions they have. Not all will search, not all who search will find thier answers, and not all will be up to your grammer standards. Way to make them feel at home.

C) You didn't even answer his question. It wasn't "Are there campaigns", nor "How do operations work", but (as he stated pretty clearely), "Are they based on factual, historic encounters, or just made up what-if's."

Robert/1, I don't have definitive answer, but I believe that some are based on actual events. Even if they weren't judging by some of the posts here, people will be using the editor to re-create thier favorite battles and will presumably put them up for download over at CMHQ(or here, if BTS opens a section for user created encounters).

Guest Pham

Just looked at the FAQ, and here is the info(which may be slightly outdated, but I'm guessing is correct):

------------

However, we are planning to have at least one scenario from each of the following battles:

Breakout from the beaches (early D-Day battles)

Breakout from Normandy (Cobra, Falise, etc.)

Race to the Rhein (improvised combat)

Stalemate (Huertgen, Aachen, etc.)

Market Garden (Paras and Monty's Drive)

Bulge (lots of possibilities)

Drive into Germany (Ruhr and scratch battles)

We will also toss in some fictional battles as well. It would be cool to see some Pershings go up against King Tigers, wouldn't it? :)

One thing we are pretty sure won't be in CM is D-Day beach combat. This type of massed infantry slaughter doesn't translate well into CM's squad level of simulation. Picture being the US and losing 10 out of your 20 units in the first 2 turns, a further 5 units during the next 3, and then just sit and wait for the scenario to end. Does this sound like fun? We don't think so, but that is how it would likely happen if we treated it realistically - and that's how we always do it!

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richlo:

It's "c'mon" B & G, not "com'on." What goes around comes around smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg your pardon, but an apostrophe is used to stand for omitted letters, so therefore in "Com'on", I use the apostrophe to stand for the omitted letter "e".

Now as you say, "C'mon", you are using the apostrophe for an omitted "o", leaving the second part of "mon" which is still missing "come's"..."e" and so "mon" is not really a word fragment. So who's the fool now?

-----------------

And Pham, since Robert/1 is from B.C., Canada, he should be well versed in English.

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Guest Robert/1

Sorry about the spelling but I am not vary good at it as you can tell.

Robert/1

[This message has been edited by Robert/1 (edited 05-23-2000).]

Guest JonS

Don't know what school you went to OBG (don't care either), But I suspect it was a US one. Anyway, EVERYtime I have seen "come on" abbreviated it has been to "c'mon".

Well, everytime until now that is ...

No need to apologize here. We all understood what you were trying to say. Keep posting with the assurance that we all know that we cant spell everything right. I never gave it a second thought. Read through alot of these post. There are alot of mis-spelled words here, many by me.

Guest Pham

Gotta go with JonS & Richlo here. It's "c'mon".

And, Robert/1, don't sweat the spelling. He knew what you meant by the misspelled words, but just chose to be a jerk about it.

The odd thing is that OBG knew which words you meant, as he told you the correct spelling for them, but didn't understand the overall question. I'll give him a B+ for grammer & spelling(would have been an A, but for the "Com'on" problem), but I've got to fail him on reading comprehension.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, looks like none of us can spell. tongue.gifwink.gif

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Guest JonS

You pressed "l" instead of " "? - yeah, that could happen. Suuuurrrreeee it could. Yup, happens all the time. ALL the time ...

Quick, someone grab the keys to the van, that man isn't safe to drive - he can't tell the difference between an "l" and a " " - how could he then tell the difference between high beam and indicating a left turn?

smile.gifsmile.gif

Jon

[This message has been edited by JonS for a SMALL typo redface.gif (edited 05-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 05-23-2000).]

Sheesh, Lorak. First you get into a car accident, and now you're dyslexic! Talk about bad karma!

DjB (who knows what dyslexia is, and realizes how serious it is, but could NOT resist making that comment, and didn't feel like using a rolleyes.gif )

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 05-23-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert/1:

Sorry about the spelling but I am not vary good at it as you can tell.

Robert/1

[This message has been edited by Robert/1 (edited 05-23-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't sweat it, Robert. Your ideas and questions are more important and that is especially true for our friends from other lands for whom English is a second (third, fourth, fifth) language.

BTW OB&G "c'mon" is the only accepted spelling of the informal interjection for "come on." Richlo was correct.

You, too, were correct OB&G that the apostrophe "in general" represents missing letters. In this case, however, the phrase is a phonetic spelling of the entire phrase and the apostrophe does not represent specific missing letters.

OK, enough of this s**t, let's get back to gaming.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball