OT: Wonderful Book On American Revolution

Just wanted to let anyone with an interest in the American Revolution (especially with The Patriot as a prod to learn more) know about a first rate, tour de force book which looks at the topic from the perspectives of all the participants (patriot, loyalist, British, French), a viewpoint probably stemming from the fact that the author, Benson Bobrick, had both patriot and loyalist ancestors involved.

His book, ANGEL IN THE WHIRLWIND: The Triumph of the American Revolution, is a stunning synthesis of multitudinous period sources, yet enfolds seamlessly the work of many scholars. The result is a book which immerses the reader in the period and sheds great light on the events, the society, the religions, culture, even the recreations and refreshments, while thoroughly discussing the events leading to war, the great philosophical and legal issues, the diplomacy, espionage on both sides, and of course military operations.

This man can really write! I've learned more in a few hours than in everything I've read before on the subject, including college courses.

Did you know that the British used biological warfare against Washington's army (deliberately sent smallpox infected prostitutes to his camp)? Did you know that a great patriot was unmasked as a British spy (hint, not Benjamin Arnold) Did you know that there were whole towns burned by the British (Charlestown, Norfolk) and that there were many times in which George Washington's army was on the razor edge of extinction (not just Valley Forge)?

What do most of you know about our invasion of Canada, of Benedict Arnold's illustrious career before his downfall, of the defense of Charleston by palmetto log forts which absorbed horrendous British cannon fire and whose guns so punished a Royal Navy fleet that it was forced to leave? These and much much more await!

Reading this book will be an educational adventure you'll never forget, one which will bring home in real, concrete terms what was at stake and the terrible price paid by all parties concerned that this nation might be born. Sadly, that priceless legacy is all but forgotten.

I found mine at Super Crown on deep discount ($30.00 book) for a mere $3.99. The ISBN is

0-684-81060-3. At that price, it is the information bargain of the century.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

Sounds like an interesting read.

I also have a recommendation for a good read on the Revolution.

Like computer wargames, there is a limited audience for historical books, which means many that are published end up being sold at discount prices. Did you ever scour bargain bins at book stores? There is some great stuff in there. One I found was at Waldenbooks in my local mall, and it was called Liberty. Based on the PBS special of the same name (BTW PBS makes some of the best historical documentaries), it is a comprehensive history of the Revolution, but has pictures to complement everything. Paintings of battles, pictures of artifacts from the time, portraits of every major player...its extraordinary. Its pretty big, hard-cover, and I bought it for only $7.99 (original price was about 50-60 dollars. If you see it don't hesitate.

John is absolutely right in my opinion: Angel in the Whirlwind is a really excellent book. Even if you're not particularly interested in early US history, if you have any interest in war, diplomacy, etc., this is a terrific book. Best first person account of the Rev War: "Private Yankee Doodle." Terrible title but great book.

Thanks for the review, John. I'll have to hunt for this book.

I just mentioned in another thread The First Salute, by Barbara Tuchmann (author of The Guns of August). The title refers to an incident early in the war when an American ship was saluted by a Dutch colony in the Carribean. This annoyed the hell out of the British, since it constituted a recognition of American independence. Most of the book is concerned with the efforts of Thomas Jefferson and his merry band of diplomats to secure arms and political support from European nations, and how these efforts were ineffectually countered by the British (mostly through dire threats, which were largely ignored). It also covers some of the naval actions. The ground war is touched on only peripherally. This is a side of the war that is often glossed over in the history books. Sure, we know about Ben Franklin in Paris, and about French support, but did you know that without Dutch arms the Revolution would have failed quickly? Did you know that the British ended up at war with practically the whole world (because they would declare war when their dire threats were ignored) by 1781? An absolutely facinating read, and Tuchmann is a great writer.

-- 19 Echo