Rant

Currently playing the demo (ordered the game on Friday). Very impressive. But I gotta say, The computer has a heck of a first shot/kill ratio. Maybe I'm a sore loser. I'm not racing into combat either. It seems to happen with the computer playing both sides. I thought maybe a Tactical advantage for one side or the other. Anyone else been a victim of this?

------------------

All I have noticed is that for a while I will seem to get all the luck, then the computer will. In a single scenario, or even a group of them it is hard to tell, but now I have played the game for around a month and I am always amazed that in one scenario I can't do anything wrong, then in the next I can't do anything right.

I believe it evens out in the end - tactics notwithstanding.

Yes, you are a sore loser wink.gif.

Real answer is that it is only human nature to seek to "blame" someone or something when we lose. You might blame your opponent for cheating, the AI for peeking or the AI for getting a to hit bonus.

It doesn't get a to hit bonus and it doesn't peek but every so often someone comes on here and is convinced that it is the only way to explain their defeat wink.gif.

Ps. My units have a HECK of a first shot first kill ratio too cause I place them well and usually get them to ambush the enemy. The AI places AT guns and tanks well too and so none of this is surprising.

Guest Michael emrys

Another way to say the same thing others here have said but in a different way, is that CM permits unlikely things to happen whereas most wargames simply filter out low-probability events. Furthermore, people who don't underestand statistics (like me smile.gif) underestimate how often unlikely events can actually occur. That is, if something has a probabilitiy of 1%, you will expect it to always happen 1% of the time. And so it will *tend* to be. But it is quite possible that during any given set of trials (such as the playing of a game) that 1% probability event might just turn up ten times straight. For instance, it is unlikely but not impossible that a Stuart might wipe out an entire platoon of Tigers.

**** happens. In this game it happens a lot.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raze:

Currently playing the demo (ordered the game on Friday). Very impressive. But I gotta say, The computer has a heck of a first shot/kill ratio.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Random chance. I just finished a QB against the AI, and one of my Sherman crews got two StuGs in two shots, at 350m, in fog. Poor Stugs were only in LoS for about 10 seconds each, and that was that! Give the crew a medal!

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

Michael emrys wrote:

> But it is quite possible that during any given set of trials (such as the playing of a game) that 1% probability event might just turn up ten times straight.

My rule is, probabilities don't matter. Either something happens or it doesn't. If you have a 1% probability of dying while crossing the road, that is absolutely meaningless - either you do or you don't.

I hate statistics.

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Raze. I'm a pretty good player. At least I've got a pretty good record against humans. That didn't stop Mk IV (damn, damn him) from flaming two platoons of fast-turret Shermans with one platoon of medium-turret Germans inside five minutes with no loss to himself. Stuff happens. That's what makes the game exciting.

Must go hunt StuGs now...

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, absolutely this is human perception to explain away distastefull results smile.gif CM doesn't give the AI any advantages (cheats) of any sort what so ever.

I just played a game against the AI last night and I lost my only tank to a one shot one kill US AT gun which I didn't even get to spot after the kill shot! I also lost 6 other vehicles before I found out what the heck was shooting at me (4 different AT guns!). Still got a victory in the end, but there was a Hell of a lot of smoke on my side of the battlefield smile.gif

'

Steve