How close is CM to ASL?

I order CM yesterday and was wondering how close (or even better) CM is to ASL ... Yes I grew up on Avalon Hill games like Squad Leader/ASL (which I stilL have)... I read serveral positve reviews of CM (including the one in PC Gamer)...

FYI in RW I am dyslexic, so no red marks/correcting on my spelling please smile.gif

Welcome aboard

This topic has already been discussed please find below the link to most recent thread.

By using the search function you will discover treasures of information (and escape the wrath of the Search Function Supporters wink.gif.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008793.html

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

That depends on what you mean by your question. If you are looking for CM to be ASL in the sense of players alternating pushing counters around on a hexgrid, leaving residual firepower after defensive first fire, "to hit" and "to kill" rolls, then you will be disappointed. If on the other hand you are looking for a game at the same level as ASL, capturing a lot of the same flavor but in a "wego" environment where the hard-and-fast rules of the boardgame are replaced with a fuzzier reality, then you ought to be very, very happy indeed. smile.gif

Lysdexics of the world, Untie!

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dyslextic:

FYI in RW I am dyslexic, so no red marks/correcting on my spelling please smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, bad spelling is much less serious than bad thinking wink.gif

Lots of people (including me) complain about bad memories, but no one complains about bad judgment eek.gif, which is more widespread and has much more dire consequences confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 08-11-2000).]

Hi,

I also grew up on SL/ASL and in my view CM is very similar. However also very much better. If you liked SL/ASL all those years ago you will love CM.

If it ever crossed your mind that it would be nice to have a computer version of SL/ASL then CM is it. But as a say many times better.

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks for the replyies. Yeap I am hoping that CM will be mcuh like ASL but with out all those counter moving, "to hit" etc stuff.

I have been hoping for year that there would be a computer game made that captured the "feel/look" of ASL. From everything I read this looks to be it smile.gif

Can't wait for the game to arrive ...

Well considering that CM started out as being Computer Squad Leader when BTS was teamed up with Avalon Hill. But since AH was sucked away by their now parent company, BTS continued to develop CM into something much greater.

Let's ask this question. Have you ever wanted a computerized version of ANY classic board game? Whether it be ASL, D&D, Warhammer, etc.? Actually CM simulates WWII miniatures more than ASL's chip & die driven game system.

I've been following CM since January 2000 when the Beta Demo was the only thing out. The comparison to ASL has come up many times and it is basically answered by my first sentence in this post.

------------------

Be sure and check out my texture mods on CMHQ.

Dave "Ol' Blood & Maximus Butticus" Molinarolo

Deslextic,

Thats pretty funny. Being Deslexic myself I guess I can laugh with you. As you will soon notice no doubt my spelling is horrible too.

who cares? well... some here seem to, but I couldn't care less.

Welcome aboard.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring