Sturmgeschuetz vs Panzers

The following passage appears in Jentz’s Panzer Truppem Vol. 2 on page 184.

“While there are reports the Sturmgeschuetz were having difficulties in engaging targets in the hedgerow country of the Bocage in Normandy, this was not true of the Panzers which Gen. Guderian again advocated in his memo for a report to Hitler on 29 June 1944 on the conversion of PzIV to Sturmgeschuetz with L/48 or L/70 guns:

‘At the average range in combat of 600-1200 meters, the 7.5 cm L/48 firing Panzergranate 39 is adequate for engaging all British, American and Russian tanks that have appeared to date. Experience reports from

Sicily, Italy and Normandy comparing PzIV and Strumgeschuetz unanimously state the when employed on coastal roads, sunken lanes, and hedges in Normandy, the Strumgeschuetz is both tactically and technically considerably less favored than the PzIV. The terrain make impossible or at least severely limits aiming the

Strumgeschuetz to the sides. Based on the latest observations by Gen. Thomale in Paris and reports from Panzer-Offizier West, employment of Strumgeschuetz in sunken lanes and in the hedges of Normandy is difficult because the gun is mounted too low, in contrast the Panzer can fire out the sunken lane and also over the hedges because of the height of the gun and traversable turret’ ”

I have read this passage several times. But since playing CM realize that it might be possible to model the lower gun in a 3D LOS game like CM. Any thoughts. I could not find a thread on this.

- Kevin

The Sturmgeschuetz is just a StuG, and the problems mentioned in this blurb are noticible in the game. The StuG can easily be outflanked by tanks, and, is harder to position in bocage. The battles we have seen haven't taken place in any of the terrain that is mentioned in the little blurb. These battles are on relatively clear terrain, many wide spaces and rolling hills vs. sharper sunken roads and a plethora of cover.

Guest Big Time Software

This isn't specifically modeled, and neither is the gun barrel length (sometimes a huge tactical disadvantage for the Jpz IV). The problem is that collision detection, based on dynamic and variable values, means too much of a hit on the CPU for too low a return in realism.

As for the general drawbacks to the StuG (and all turretless tanks), I think Last Defense and Chance Encounter show them off pretty well. Especially when compared to other wargames, like Steel Panthers, that don't model turret rotation. Since most people here have played a great deal of SP I am sure this is part of the reason why so many questions arose concerning the StuG when we released the demo.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

What would suck worse is to be the guy told to go outside and ream out the barrel!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I heard of that Polka. smile.gif

Ream out the barrel, We'll have a shell full of fun.....

Teutonic jr.

Shamelessly posting to increase my count biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Teutonic (edited 02-14-2000).]