Assault Boats

One opponent of mine decided to use one.

The problem is there is no water on the map,and it is placed directly on his end of the map in the open.I cant move or sight my units without them firing onto this damn thing and giving themselves away.

My opponent is a very good player in his own right,and i understand this to be more of a joke than a gamey tactic to win on his part, and im not really bothered by the whole thing.

But if it became a standard tactic for alot of players to place them everywhere it would be damn pain. frown.gif

I cant seem to blow this damn boat up has anyone else got any opinions or ideas about this issue

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Titan:

The problem is there is no water on the map,and it is placed directly on his end of the map in the open.I cant move or sight my units without them firing onto this damn thing and giving themselves away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I discovered that one a while ago. I did it as a joke, and the thing turned out to be indestructible. An extremely gamey use would be to locate them on your flanks as alarms to let you know when someone is coming around the side. One solution is for the QB generator purchase screen to not list them-- the auto map machine doesn't make rivers, so there's no need for boats. I've seen frozen lakes in automaps, but I don't think I've seen open ones.

In a design I placed assault boats on the "Wrong" side of the river with some engineers as a reinforcement. I had a hell of a time because they were dropped in so far from the river and because of minipulation difficulties. They are not the easiest unit to get what you want out of them. You think that this or that move is set and a turn later it hasn't happened. Trying to embark and disembark troops can be tricky, especially if you try to program the moves across turn time bounderies.

And I lost a number when morters started falling, at least they seem to die when on water.

Titan,

You said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My opponent is a very good player in his own right,and i understand this to be more of a joke than a gamey tactic to win on his part...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that he is a very good player makes me think that this fits the definition of a "gamey" tactic.

Just my $.02

------------------

CrapGame

Yes they can move on land what's wrong with that? These aren't yachts they are collapsable canvas (or other materials) assault boats (similar to an RB7 or an RB15 in use today) with their own inherent crews. It's perfectly feasible for them to be carried or dragged even if ther's not an animation that shows it as such.

Los

I wish there would be motored Assault botes in future CM games (not CM2 obviously). The ones we have now are row boats, I'd like more of a carrier or a motorboat. Machine gun isn't necessary, but would be nice. They'd be destructible of course...

The main reason I want these is because I recently made a scenario where serveral platoons of men had to cross a maze of islands populated with the enemy on boats. I didn't know these damn things were so slow! When I thought "Assault" boat, I thought a motroboat, and a fast one at that!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Titan:

My opponent is a very good player in his own right,and i understand this to be more of a joke than a gamey tactic to win on his part, and im not really bothered by the whole thing.

But if it became a standard tactic for alot of players to place them everywhere it would be damn pain. frown.gif

I cant seem to blow this damn boat up has anyone else got any opinions or ideas about this issue

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like a very gamey tactic bordering on cheating as it CLEARLY exploites a loophole or oppotunity in the game design to the extreme advatage of the player placing the assault boat(s) on land. And GUESS what? This one ONLY works for the Allies, thats sort of interesting. smile.gif

I think Steve and Charles should look into this one.

-tom w

A few points:

- Assault boats can not move at all, unless they are manned.

- Assault boats are not indestructable, they wanish in thin air after recieving a sufficient beating.

I found this out last night when I did a gunnery range after reading this thread. I wanted to see how small arms ammo consumption waried depending on range (i.e. how many weapons that fire).

I set up a VG rifle platoon to shoot at three emptu assault boats (on grass), so that there would be no interfering return fire.

- The closest boat was at about 90m, and it vanished after about 25 salvoes of SA fire from one squad.

- The second boat was at 245m, took about 30 salvoes to remove.

- The third boat was at almost 500m, and took some 40 salvoes before disappearing.

This "battle" could not be played against the AI, and the only "order" available for the boats was "Line of sight".

Hence assault boats make lousy scouts, since they're strictly stationary.

They can give a fair warning in defence, and also even out the odds a bit.

I'm not sure how good the boats are at spotting enemies themselves.

Cheers

Olle

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I wish there would be motored Assault botes in future CM games (not CM2 obviously). The ones we have now are row boats, I'd like more of a carrier or a motorboat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it! Carriers! I knew there was something missing from CM. The Americans get the USS ESSEX and the British get the HMS ARK ROYAL. The Germans get...er, um...the KM GRAF VON ZEPPELIN (hypothetically).

But seriously, the Soviets did use flotillas of armed riverboats on their larger rivers, and they sometimes did participate in battles. So maybe there is a call for them to be represented in CM2.

Michael