Artillery Smoke

In “Chance Encounter,” playing as the Germans, I laid tons of smoke on the advancing Shermans by my off-board mortars. It worked like a charm, allowing me to attack tanks individually as they appeared. What didn’t work out as expected was the reduction of regular mortar rounds left available to me.

I hope that I’m explaining my question clearly; why is the number of regular rounds available reduced by the number of smoke rounds fired?

R Man

• 1 month later...

This is not an official answer, but...

I think part of what is confusing you is that ff board artillery is somewhat abstracted. The ammo count for your FO is not the amount of rounds that will be called down (and then the battery runs out of shells) rather it is how much fire has been alloted to your current mission.

So when you have 24 ammo with an 81mm observer it means that the battery of 81s will give you 24 attacks worth of support. There is not a 1 to 1 correspondence between ammo and how many explosions there are. Additionally (I think) when your FO is empty it dosen't mean that the battery is out of rounds, it just means that they arent sending any more your way.

Because the ammo isn't tracked round for round the FO wouldn't run out of smoke and still have HE. He either has rounds of whatever types he needs or can't get any more.

I'm not a beta tester or Steve or Charles, so if I'm wrong, someone in the know jump in smile.gif

- Bill

-------------

Combat Mission Scenarios and Operations

- For all your scenario needs

http://patriot.net/~carey/cmso

And I can confirm that smile.gif Each FO is tied in to one BATTERY of off-board artillery. Therefore, one ammo point usually means four rounds. The amount of AMMO shows how much support you can expect from that battery for whatever reason. If you chose to use all that support for smoke, so be it. But you won't get more after it's used up (at least not during a scenario. In operations, the FO can get more missions for the next battles)