Search for AFV book with ...

When I was a starving student I have seen amazing AFV book. I should have bought it right then but I was short on cash.

Book had the following:

1) Tank developments of the time

2) Engagements during war

3) What both sides learned from engagement and how AFV were modified as a result.

4) How new modifications played role in the next Tank battle.

It was mainly East front. Lots of pictures and some battle maps.

Has anyone seen such book?

Other than that I would love to get a book that has color picture of ALL (or almost all) AFV in WWII. (with MAUS please) Picture should be from 3 sides (front,side,back). Every AFV has short description "life story" attached to it.

Recommendations please?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

Other than that I would love to get a book that has color picture of ALL (or almost all) AFV in WWII. (with MAUS please) Picture should be from 3 sides (front,side,back). Every AFV has short description "life story" attached to it.

Recommendations please?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to find a book with that too, but haven't had the luck. I was in your "starving" situation before, but as just a small child, when I found a book with every WWII plane profiled like that and it was only $40 and I could kick myself for not being able to get it then. frown.gif

------------------

Finally........Maximus...has come back.....to the Forum!!!

For a good reference book on every German AFV in WWII get a copy of "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two". You can find it on Amazon.com for only $20.

Here's the link...

Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII

Oops! They're out of stock! eek.gif Must be all of us CM'ers buying it up.

------------------

Finally........Maximus...has come back.....to the Forum!!!

For just about everything you could want to know about the German Panzers, go to the following link :

www.achtungpanzer.com

Great information! Downloaded and printed it myself to keep from logging back there all the time. Only thing lacking to a degreee is information about the battles, though they do post information about the most notable actions they were in at the end of their areas. smile.gif

I have the older edition encyclopedia book back in 1995, I think it is the day of Steel Panthers. It was out of publish till 1999 and it is out of stock again. Can anyone tell me what changes has been made, except for the cover?

Griffin @ work.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Another book which can be of interest is:

"The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II"

Published by Barnes & Noble, 1998

Hardback, 544 pages, $25.00.

ISBN 0-7607-1022-8

This is the best single book on the WW2 era weapons I have ever seen. It covers everything from pistols to strategic bombers and aircraft carriers from all of the major combatants. It has all of the major categories of AFV's, trucks, armored cars, artillery and small arms. And the vast majority of it is in color illustrations.

You can quickly look at the Boys anti-tank rifle or Luger pistol and then jump to the Japanese carriers sunk at Midway. From there you can compare the various fighter aircraft in different theaters or the tanks and flame throwers used in Europe.

It literally covers just about everything to some degree.

It does have a couple small embarrasing faults, like it left out the ME-109! [for which they took some well-deserved flak smile.gif ]

If I could only have one book, since my interests cover the other aspects of WWII also, this would be it.

Besides, how hard is it to find another book on the ME-109? biggrin.gif

I've mentioned the Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII several times in the past.

Definitely worth the $25 for the pictures and breadth of weapons covered.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woody:

Hey ThomasJ, Cool site ! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you people would love it. smile.gif

Just happned to remember one day the name of the book one German general had written about tank strategy and did a search on it and what do you know. biggrin.gif