Win2k - Unhandled exception

Hi,

First off, I think CM is brilliant and I can evenn look at another wargame besides the HPS Panzer Campaigns series.

I've had no problems with CM and have been playing since the beta demo at the end of October. I moved to Win2k Pro in March and things have been very stable. All of a sudden, at around turn 14 in VoT PBEM (I'm the Yanks - and hanging in) I've been getting some random freezups with CM. Random, as sometimes in replay or when plotting, but never at the same spot.

I get a system beep, and everything else works but I can do anything in CM - it is froze,n. When I check event viewer I see an "unhandled exception error" which when I click to terminate it also kills CM. It takes me 4 or 5 attempts at playing to get a turn out to my opponent.

I've reinstalled the gold demo and disabled virus scanning to check things. I don't recall changing anything on my system over the last few days so I'm baffled.

Here's my system info:

Athlon 550 (GF card at 750)with Global Win cooler ie, no overheating

Guillemot Xentor (cooling fan added) using 3.78 driver for Win 2K

SB Live! etc...

Like I say, this has been my setup since March and it's been fine up to this point. I've had no problems with anything else. Can anyone advise please? Much appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph D

Uh... this is probably a bad guess.

Although you aren't getting any overheating with your currently over-clocked Athlon, I would suggest possibly cutting back the over-clocking a little to see if this helps (say down to 700Mhz or so). It MAY be possible that the amount of floating point done by CM may be crashing on your over-clocked CPU (though the system doesn't seem to crash in anything else). I'm not sure if an "unhandled exception error" could even be related to floating point errors.

If you look at the event in the event viewer, there will be an event ID associated with that. If you get me the entire Event ID and description, I can look it up in Microsoft Technet for you, and see if we can figure it out. Either post it here, or email it to me, I'll be glad to give whatever help I can.

Thanks all,

It's a Dr. Watson information message in the event log:

The event ID is 4097. The application,,generated an application error. The exception generated was c0000005 at address 72d9357c (d3d free). I hope Technet has some help. I go there for work-related network issues, but that's another story.

BTW, I have all the 3d effects maxed out in CM. I hesitant to cut down the speed on my Maximizer GFD, but if that's the last resort CM is more important IMHO. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ralph D

Guest Gunnerdream

That has GOT to be a record for longest single post...

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Guest Big Time Software

Well, it certainly broke the HTML assembly of this page smile.gif Therefore I am going to lock this up. Ralph, if you feel you still need some more help post a new message. Sorry, I have no idea what might be going wrong. Windows works in strange and mysterious ways sometimes smile.gif

Steve