Stuttgart

I wanted to ask this before everyone gets the game and starts disappearing from the Board. My brother is in the Army Corps of Engineers stationed in Stuttgart Germany and I plan on visiting him there. Does anyone know if there are any good WWII sites to visit within a couple of hours drive? Are there any guided tours for individuals or well marked battle fields. So far our only plan is to go up to the Bastogne area and Remagen.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:

Does anyone know if there are any good WWII sites to visit within a couple of hours drive? Are there any guided tours for individuals or well marked battle fields. So far our only plan is to go up to the Bastogne area and Remagen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am afraid Stuttgart is a bit of a dud in that respect. I am not from the region though. You can always go to France, it is quite close from there.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

The Maginot line isn't too far. There are some good sites to see in Bitche, France. I can't remember exactly, but it was only about 4 hours from Mannheim IIRC. It's been a while, and I had a few beers after touring the sites there, so I may be off on the time/distance! Bastogne was only about 5 hours from Mannheim as well. (Mannheim is only a little over an hour north of Stuttgart).

As Germanboy said, it's a bit off of most interesting sites. You might want to visit the Panzermuseum in Munster (Niedersachsen).

They got several WWII tanks in very good shape. I think they even got a WWI A7V tank.

(German, crew 16 or 17, 5Mgs, and a 3.5 or 3.7mm turretgun).

And the main military training grounds are located there (some US units were (are?) stationed there too.

murx

Between Munsingen and Ulm is Rommel's hometown. It has a Rommel memorial made from the hatch of a MK IV. Someone from Germany pipe in with the name of the town...

Due west of Stuttgart, in France, is Nancy, Metz, and loads of WWI and WII battlefields.

Hey, i live in Stuttgart - and the folks here are right - there is nothing interesting here exspecially military historical things - even the nightlife is boring.

The best thing for you is to go to france, it´s very near!

Greeting from Stuttgart

Jochen

Ted,

If you travel south to Nüremburg, you can see the Palace of Justice (where the war crimes trials were held), Soldiers Field (where Hitler had his really big rallies). Also Birtchesgarten has a cool network of underground bunkers set up for the "Last Defense" under the General Patton Hotel and the Eagles Nest, Hitler's Alpine Retreat.

Have fun on your trip!

Yeah, that´s right. SINSHEIM, take the directly exit of the highway, search for TECHNIKMUSEUM-signs.

Very good museum, a lot of tanks there. Even a Panther is there at the moment. If you travel there, please send me an E-Mail, if you want, we can meet there.

Bye, Bye

Jochen

If you're up near remagen, visit the museum in Koblenz. It's the "wehrtechnisches museum", or something like that (can't remember the exact name, or spelling smile.gif). If i recall correctly, it has several AFV's from ww2 and a whole lot of other stuff, including modern weapons.

MK

OK excellent. These are all great ideas and just what I was looking for. Yes the Ardennes, the Maginot Line and a few Beers (mmmm German Beer, ok maybe more than a few), a Panzer Museum or two, a Memorial, now that is what I call a vacation! And still there’s Soldiers Field and the Eagles Nest to boot. Man I’m ready. Thanks again everyone for all your input.

Ted

Ted,

Do not mistake Rommelshausen for being related to Rommel. It's a similarity in name only. The Rommel memorial is east of Munsingen and west of Ulm. It is his hometown, and is the place where he was forced to take poison.

BTW, Rommel's son was mayor of Stuttgart up until just a few years ago.

Jochen, Where in Stuttgart?

My uncle lives in Endersbach, and my grandmother used to live in Beutelsbach/Weinstadt.

[This message has been edited by Blackhorse (edited 06-16-2000).]

You can always ask the locals (make sure that they're ammenable to this first!) about former WWII installations in the area that aren't in the tour guides. For example, we "discovered" that there was a WWII Luftwaffe base right behind our barracks in Kaefertal. We played paintball among the ruins in the woods, including stone aircraft shelters and the remains of the airfield. Quite cool smile.gif