Gamey or Smart Tactic?

I have recently been exposed to a very effective tactic versus AT guns that makes me a little uneasy. In a PBEM game I noticed some explosions starting to appear near a halftrack I had hidden from an AT gun behind a building. I surmised that my esteemed opponent was using the gun to try to damage or flush out the HT (that it could not see) with a near miss. By chance, I had a tank with a LOS near the AT gun, but not on it, so I decided to try targeting that spot with area fire and on the next turn - no more gun!

Shortly after in an Op vs. the AI, infantry spotted a "Gun?" hidden in the woods. I worked a tank into a location with a LOS near but not on the gun, then area fired with the same success. When I fully identified the gun later, I realized I had knocked out an 88 without it even getting off a shot. I have to say I didn't sleep well that night from guilt from this premeditated "blind" attack (well, I did ponder it a bit before going to sleep anyway).

In the same PBEM I just lost an ATG from a near miss from a SPG it couldn't see (this one might have been an accident, I had other units in the area). I'm not sure if this a smart tactic, or a little gamey. Any of you more experienced guys care to comment on this?

Guest Scott Clinton

I don't see this as gamey really.

You troops have IDed an possible location for an enemy gun and your tanks have wisely decided to shell the crap out of the area while remaining hidden to the gun.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Gamey? I would say "using terrain to your advantage". It's sort of like throwing grenades around a corner. Taking your shots while denying the enemy the opportunity for his is never a bad idea in real life.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Preacher:

Isn't this what is called "Recon by fire?"

Preacher<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed, it's a real tactic.

You may sleep easy. What you did was in full compliance with the Lake Champlain Convention for The Laws of Combat (Mission)

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

I use this tactic all the time. I find that kills are somewhat rare, but its good for at least a suppression.

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too - not gamey at all.

------------------

Andreas

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

I use this tactic all the time. I find that kills are somewhat rare, but its good for at least a suppression.

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

these are my findings as well... sometimes if there is an anticipated movement path for an enemy unit but i can't see the unit itself, i'll lay down HE or MG area fire in said anticipated path of movement... suppression indeed.

andy

I'm shocked and outraged!

This deplorable tactic is not only gamey, but totally lacking in honor, glory, savoir faire and joie de vivre.

All combatants should be arranged in lines or columns with full view of the other side and wearing brightly colored clothing, preferably a sporty little number with those tight pants that look so fetching on Major Sharpe.

Sincerely,

General St. John Lord Stoatwallow OBE, CBE, KCG (Mrs.), retired

Guest dirkd1976

hehehehe.......wheres Mel Gibson when you need him?

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

Tell the tankers and APC commanders in Vietnam who did their daily "mad minute" in the morning or late in the evening when all guns opened fire from their wagon wheel defensive positions and raked everything outside their perimeter.

To see limbs, branches, whole trees disintegrate under .50 caliber, canister and automatic weapons fire is a sight to behold. The sound would deafening and I'm sure quite unnerving if you were hiding in the bush with a RPG waiting for shot wink.gif

And it often got results one way or the other biggrin.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com