Suggestions for "Beginner" Scenarios?

Hi All:

I just got Combat Mission a couple days ago and I’m loving it!

Does anyone have some suggestions for scenarios/operations suitable for beginners? I’ve played the two scenarios from the demo plus the tutorial and the Graefenwohl “training mission” from the release version, and I’m not sure which ones to hit next.

There are so many scenarios and operations I don’t know where to start. Which would be suitable for a beginner like me who is more comfortable with smaller, less complex missions?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated…….

[This message has been edited by JessRobinson (edited 11-27-2000).]

Try a Quick battle or the tutoral. wink.gif

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC wink.gif

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Bord

BHQS bord

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 11-27-2000).]

Hi Jesse.

Just do what I do. I scan the battle sizes depending on my mood. If you want something fairly quick just play through all the small scenarios. There are tons more out there as well if you weren't aware. Try CMHQ and the ASL CM maps pages. they can all be found in the CM Webring. You'll find lots of new battles From Tiny To Huge.

Have fun.

Mord

Welcome, Jess!

There are a number of smaller quick playing scenarios to give you a feel for the game. As stated, Wiltz and the tutorial (Vire) are some good ones to begin you odyssey with CM>

A few others are -

Aachen (good in-city fighting),

Son is another.

Both of the above are on the game CD.

For others, how about...

Combat - Hills are for Heroes,

Ramelle - Saving Private Ryan,

Bruneval - A Quick Visit,

Maastricht - Tough Tanker,

Keep Nimtz Alive,

are all smaller, easier to play battles. These last ones you'll find at Madmatt's CMHQ site in the Scenario Depot.

By the time you've played these, you'll either be headed for the looney bin, or a hard-core WW2 Warrior! Good hunting!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Wow! What an excellent response! biggrin.gif This is truly a great forum to provide so many suggestions to a newcomer. I feel very welcome.

I just spent the last couple hours playing the first 11 turns of Wiltz and enjoyed destroying several German vehicles. Excellent scenario, perfect size for me right now. (And it looks like I'm headed towards a major victory.)

Thanks to all for making me feel part of the CM community so quickly. I've already downloaded most of the mods from MadDog's Mod pack so the graphics and sound are much improved. Now I'll download the suggested scenarios as well.

Thanks again and any more advice is very much appreciated!

Jess

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Epée:

Jess,

another word of advice: Go for PBEM battles - they are much more fun than playing the computer, and you will also learn much more that way.

Epée<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more. When I started CM I had decided to play QB's against the computer until I got "good" at it. The problem is that the AI is a very erratic opponent - one game you'll get trounced and learn a lot, the next game you'll win hands down as the AI makes boneheaded play after boneheaded play. Humans are better opponents.

I also have to disagree with Move It or Lose It as a choice here. It's a terrific scenario (it's be Wild Bill - but I guess that's redundant smile.gif ) but Jess specifically asked about less complex scenarios. Move IT ro Lose it is not what I would call un-complex (even if that were a word). That said, I would encourage Jess to give a shot to the more complex scenarios - they take longer, but they are definitely a lot more fun.

In short, no baby steps. Jump in!!