Speaking of Polygon Counts in Game systems

hmmmmm... was it in EGM?

I did not actually BUY the mag smile.gif

I wish I had so I could scan the article in question (not that it matters, really) but I'm 90% sure it was the recent EGM. It compared all 3 (PS2, PC, Dreamcast) versions, and it mentioned lowering some detail in the rooms (for better control with a gamepad/joystick) but that the character poly's and detail were heightened to take advantage of the PS2 ability. It showed side by side character pics, and having owned the PC version, I can say that the character shown definately had more and better facial details.

Not to sound like TOO much of a fanboy, I will mention that the PS2 has some ALIASING issues... basically the built in system for smoothing textures apparently slows games down immensely when turned on so far. Fortunately, developers and SONY have come up with a lot of different work arounds. The upcoming FPS called Red Faction has smoothed graphics, and apparently runs at 60 frames per second, so the "problem" is definately being completely worked out on next gen (post launch) titles.

I can say that TIMESPLITTERS, a very fun FPS, runs at 60 frames right now, even in two player split screen, and looks very sharp. There is some flicker/wavering texture stuff though, that is a left over from the Aliasing work at the time.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to run out and nab a PS2, just saying I'm VERY happy with my own purchase. I think it's a GREAT buy for gamers that cannot afford a $3,000 PC.

EDITED FOR HORRIBLE SPELLING.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-09-2000).]