The best of both worlds?

Guest Offwhite

Looks like that T34 completely detonated itself. I can't imagine that much destruction from the AP shell's HE filler. I've heard of commanders being blown clear especially if they have themselves halfway out of the hatch.

This makes me wonder.. whats the different scenarios that can happen when AP penetrates?

1. AP shell penetrates but either doesnt have enough Kinetic energy to do any damage or buries itself safely in the tank.

2. AP shell takes out equipment.

3. AP shell takes out crewmen

4. AP shell starts fire in ammo or fuel.

4 AP shell strikes the tip of a stowed HE shell thereby causing sympathetic detonation of all stowed ammo and fuel.

I'm sure theres others..

Lewis

PS Oh fionn thanks for the advice. (But werent you wrong on HE filler being rare in WWII?)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of those who wish to see Username/Lewis 's abusive and insulting nature, please pass by the Panzer Elite (Wings Simulations) Forum, and search for Lewis, he has repeatedly insulted people on that board.

von Manstein

I am not concerned at all with what Username (Lewis) has done on other forums, only here. He seems to have taken Fionns advice very well, so let's leave it at that. I certainly couldn't call his call to ban DU abusive.

I didn't want to get back in on this thread when it got abusive, but there was a question posed by TSS earlier that never got addressed. Uranium in DU (or U238) has a half-life of over 4 billion years and is primarily an alpha emitter (short range lethality) but can also generate beta emissions (higher energy sub-atomic particles) which are more damaging over time.

*cross checks and loads assault rifle*

------------------

Men make wars. Boys fight them.

Well, if these AP rounds with an HE charge in them were significantly

more effective than AP alone if the armor penetration was only

partial, then it would be nice to have it modeled. Does CM model

this? Or will we have to wait for the add-on

to get this refinement

to the armor penetration model? smile.gif

If these HE charges made such a big difference in performance,

then I'm surprised that Steve or Charles hasn't already mentioned

it as a factor in combat in CM. smile.gif

Guest PeterNZ

R.C

Yeah, I agree.. while banning might be nice, -everyone- would keep some -just in case- the other side used it..

Wouldn't be surprised if it does get more contrlled or banned, maybe just because even outside of a warzone it's a bit too messy or potentially messy?

smile.gif

PeterNZ

William Thiel,

jst to complete the matter. DU (U-238) radiates as we both said earlier alpha (helium nuclei) radiation, I'm not sure about the beta (electrons and sometimes positrons) but you checked so you're probably right according to my boss the really dangerous radiation is coming from natural fission and radiates neutrons but this happens around 70 times a secong for one kilo(!) of U-238.

Thought you might like to know.

Wouter

Guest hunt52

Hmm.... with a halflife in the billions of years range I would think that the heavy metal poisioning aspects would far outweigh any possible radiation damage.

- Bill

Guest hunt52

Actually, username, I am taking a nuclear physics class this semester. Halflife refers to the time it takes *one half* of a given amount of radioactive substance to decay. This means that the equation:

A(t) -[lambda]t

--- = e

A(0)

where A(t) is the amount currently remaining at time t and A(0) is the initial amount. [lambda] (Stupid lack of greek letters in this font!) is the decay constant, that is one over the mean life of a particle. The halflife is equal to ln(2) / [lambda], which for U238 is (about) 1.733 x 10 ^ (-10).

Let's say that you ingest oh - 100 grams of U238 when your tank is hit and that you live for 40 more years.

A(40) = A(0)e^-1.733 x 10 ^ (-10)*40

A(40 = 100e^ -1.733 x 10 ^ (-10)*40

This means that (about) .0000007 grams of U238 will have decayed. This is not a lot. U238 that is not decaying is just a really heavy metal. Hence I would think that metal poisoning would outweigh the damaging effects of the radiation.

smile.gif

Now, if there is a physics professor in the crowd - I'd love to know if I made any mistakes in that... I don't have my books with me right now and am doing that from memory...

Also I would be curious to know if actual medical reports substantiate this.

Brush up complete smile.gif

- Bill

Guest Big Time Software

OK, me thinks this way off topic thread has finally come to a conclusion (of sorts). As I always do in such cases, I am locking it up so as to officially put it to bed wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunt52:

Hmm.... with a halflife in the billions of years range I would think that the heavy metal poisioning aspects would far outweigh any possible radiation damage.

- Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just dont follow your logic here is all. If the half life is so long why would the metal aspects be greater?

Lewis