German LMG are not

I always envisioned the German LMG's as being 2 man, but not with an advanced tripod configurement. I thought the MG42 LMG was just a MG42 with a bipod on the end that only two people were needed to operate. I think of the MG42 HMG as one with a tribod and optics for sighting. Why isn't the LMG potrayed as a MG42 with bipod?

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hi

Actually you have both in the game. The Germans used the MG 42 in both HMG and LMG roles. HMG means that the MG was mounted on a tripod, while LMG means a two man bipod team. The HMG provided better accuracy and was also able to fire in a limited indirect role. The LMG was easier to handle and was used in two man teams. One gunner and one loader.

As I said earlier, both versions are in the game.

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

http://andhess.home.online.no/cm

Do you mean about the graphic representation? Or something else.

Actually, I'm also a bit puzzled 'bout the LMG. To be precise,

I'm puzzled of it's inability to run. LMG operators can run

while part of squad, so why not alone.

No sarge yelling behind? smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntg84:

The graphic representation is what I was gettting at. Also the apperance of no MG34's are odd, seeing as though a bunch were still around.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd guess BTS just didn't feel it was necessary to do

own graphics for LMG instead of just using those of HGM.

As for MG34, pretty much the same thing. No real need to do it.

I usually lose these guys in a hurry. Sometimes i just nook them away so they can give a final fire across a front and not recieve any back. Personally I think BTS should have modeled LMGs and BAZ and PSK as weapoons that would be "added on" to a squad. This way, other squad members could pick them up as they do now with the inherent LMG/BAR etc.

Lewis

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

Personally I think BTS should have modeled LMGs and BAZ and PSK as weapoons that would be "added on" to a squad. This way, other squad members could pick them up as they do now with the inherent LMG/BAR etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MG42s show up in at least 3 places, including as squad weapons that can get picked up:

1) MG42 HMG with a 6 man crew to support it. Lots of ammo, high ROF, good sights, can't run.

2) MG42 LMG with a 2 man team. Comes with ammo of about 30, can't run. iron sights?

3) MG42 Squad LMG. Same FP as the 2 man team LMG, but can run (ammo divided among more people? probably). If the MG gunner is hit there's a chance that it will get picked up by another squad member.

Firepower:

range 40 100 250 500 1000 m

MG42 HMG 155 125 77 52 27

MG42 LMG 50 45 30 18 --

(the formatting doesn't want to space the numbers out, but you get the idea)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

MG42 Squad LMG. Same FP as the 2 man team LMG, but can run (ammo divided among more people? probably)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be it, but I wonder.

How much is 30 ammo, if the other guy carries the gun and

the other the ammo. Why can't they run?

I think you could run with a 500 round ammopack.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Could be it, but I wonder.

How much is 30 ammo, if the other guy carries the gun and

the other the ammo. Why can't they run?

I think you could run with a 500 round ammopack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was covered a while back. Actually, I think it was in a well-remembered thread in which a father-son duo (or grandfather-son duo, I can't remember which) waltzed in and challenged BTS's historical accuracy. While I'm sure it was annoying for those participating in the thread, I sure got a kick out of just reading it.

Or I could be remembering the wrong thread...hmm.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

in a well-remembered thread in which a father-son duo (or grandfather-son duo, I can't remember which) waltzed in and challenged BTS's historical accuracy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I remember that. But don't actually see the point.

It was shown then, why HMG can't run. (too much ammo).

And that LMG as a part of a squad indeed can.

What I'm wondering, is why LMG without a squad can't run. Am I missing

something painfully obvious here. confused.gif

------------------

--

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our

trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They can't run because the German part of Nikes factories was bombed into rubble<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but the Germans still had the secret, underground Adidas factories biggrin.gif

Seriously, it does seem rather strange that an LMG team can't run when LMGs in squads CAN. In the squad, you have the same 2 guys, the gunner and his assistant, humping the gun, spare barrels, and most of the ammo. Sure, other guys in the squad could carry more ammo, but most of it has to be carried by the MG guys so it's where it's needed when the shooting starts, and the other guys have their own loads to hump.

So maybe BTS will re-examine some team speeds. The LMGs and the 2" mortars in particular.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Perhaps the non-squad LMG represents one with more ammunition and spare barrels. The lads in the squad might have a few belts round their necks, the separate unit might be carrying a lot more in boxes.

Just a theory but, if I remember rightly, that's something like the approach taken by SL and ASL.