Sales ratio Mac vs. PC (yes I know they wont give out numbers)

Guest herbjorn

I'd guess almost 60-40. A lot of people on this board have Macs, and BTS has always strongly supported Macintosh with games like Achtung Spitfire and Over the Reich.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

Guest dirkd1976

No, no, no......you've got it all wrong. A Mac isn't a burger, he's my fat uncle who drives an eighteen wheeler, and pickes up white trash hookers at the truck stops along his route. wink.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

Now, not to start this into a platform flame war. Keep in mind, if not for the almighty and far superior mac, there would be no Combat Mission game that you all love so much. Now.....really slow now, repeat until your eyes gloss over....CM was developed on a Mac and ported to a PC. smile.gif Don't we feel better now?

So instead of eating that Mac for lunch, how about some crow instead?

This was meant in jest, send all complaints to Bill Gates, King of the Evil Empire.

Guest herbjorn

My question was NOT: What do you all associate with the word "Mac"? I was more interested in the ratios.

(If people want to develop cm on their iMac, then that is their choice tongue.gif ...)

Since the CD contains both the Mac and Wintel versions, why would BTS even know? You might see if you can prise the answer out of Madmatt, since he no doubt tracks d/ls of the patch, which comes in Mac and Wintel flavors. I'm guessing he'll offer you a steaming hot mug of Shut the Hell Up , however.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

I have a PC. But try doing postscript graphics or broadcast quality editing on a PC and you are into trouble up to your ears. You can only digitise few minutes at time because of the windows file size limits, postscript files do not show up correctly. Byu zillions of extra cards and still nothing doesn't work like it is supposed to. MAC also retains it's value much longer. In two years you can haul your "Power PC" out of the window. Not a MAC lover but for work I prefer MACs.

I've gone from PC to Mac to PC at work and at home. Where the Mac still is somewhat behind the PC is in the range of 3D modelling packages available for it. The most prevalent professional level package for the PC is 3DS Max (though of all of them I prefer Alias' line of 3D packages). It used to be that the Mac simply did not have as good 3D accelerators as the PC. Now that has changed with news that Nvidia will provide chipsets for the Mac. Also, there was a recent announcement that Alias' Maya would be available for Mac when OSX is released. That makes me think seriously about shelling out the extra money for a nice G4. Most developers I know totally are in love with Mac harware (except for the extra cost!) but hate its OS.

I use both-- at work I have a dual processor Wintel machine (I used to need it for CAD stuff, which I do less of now), plus a Powerbook that I share with a few other people. At home I have a powerbook that has MacOS, Linux, and Softwindows on it, so I can deal with just about anything. I can even run AutoCAD under Softwindows, it's just a little slow...

I rarely, if ever, have trouble moving stuff between machines.

OK, OK, I've got the semi-official** numbers on CM players with Mac's vs. PC's -- with some demographics even!

Player Type / Mac / Windoze

Elite / 95% / 5%

Volksturm / 5% / 95%

Howitzer biggrin.gif

(**Actually I made them up, but from my experience, they must be accurate! wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by Howitzer (edited 07-23-2000).]

Re: Macs and gaming.....

"Apple ignores E3.

Yeah, they sure are committed to the games market, huh? That's what they've been saying on and off for, what, 16 years now? Too bad they're basically lying about it. If they cared, they might want to actually help developers nake games for the Mac platform. they might actively encourage PC games to get ported within two years of shipping. And they might want to show up at the biggest gaming event in the world. Just a thought."

Computer Gaming World