I'm stll playing Steel Panthers?!!!

Yes guys you read right. You guys should feel sorry for me. I havn't even ordered the game (CM) yet mainly because I need to upgrade my existing p166 before I can get the game. Having my wife due in 2 months and other bills, there's NO way I can afford an upgrade now, so I'm stuck !!!

I have played the demo many times both at work and at my brother's computer but how many darn times can you play it. I've changed the experience points, troop numbers etc. I'll probably play again anyway.

Look hear people I just wanted to know, as I said i'm playing Steel Panthers which I think is a 2D CM. My question is as follows forget about the graphics and sound, but considering the actual combat resolution and combat tables is Steel Panthers similar to CM? In other words is the combat mechanics and resolution similar for both CM and Steel Panthers? ie would a squad in SP have the same result firing against a tank in CM?

Thanks would appreciate your comments.

[This message has been edited by IDF (edited 08-17-2000).]

Well, it's been a while, but...

I think the 2 are comparable when determining kill percentages for when infantry fires on infantry.

I think CM does an outstanding job when it comes to tanks vs. tanks (what with the armor penetration math and all). I think SP is a bit more abstract and relies more on probabilities and hence does not do as good a job in this regards.

And while I have yet to get an 88 in CM, I always had at least one and mostly 2 in SP. They could stop an attack all by themselves, and usually did. So maybe they're too powerful in SP?

As for playing the CM demo, have you PBEM yet?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IDF:

My question is as follows forget about the graphics and sound, but considering the actual combat resolution and combat tables is Steel Panthers similar to CM? In other words is the combat mechanics and resolution similar for both CM and Steel Panthers? ie would a squad in SP have the same result firing against a tank in CM?

Thanks would appreciate your comments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In short SPs CRT formula's are much more abstracted and contain more of a random factor then CMs, now that said, SP's armor & penetration CRTs are the best we could get in at the time. They improved thru SP3 but never to CMs detail level for armor & pen. Inf vs Inf may be more along CMs lines but again more abstracted.

The kind of armor modeling & penetration detail you see in CM wont be seen in other games released, except HPS Simulations TOP & PITs.

Regards, John Waters

-------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-17-2000).]

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

well if your talking about SP:WAW I think they both do a pretty good job handling tank vs tank battles. Planes in Steel panthers do way more damage but you don't see the AI buying 10 of them at all. Infantry warfare is very robust in CM. It all depends on the terrain and how you use them, or when you toss them into battle. I for one use infantry in steel panthers in strong formations deployed in depth so that even if you take casualties you still make it to the objective. Plus you can stick a lot more troops on a SP tank, or so it seems because of their combat power. Its a little tedious to set up multiply overwatch groups that time themselves perfectly when manuvering a large inantry group (battalion). I always end up keeping my troops on the edge of tiredness because i'm pushing so hard for an objective in CM.

I say if you enjoy the game, play it until you can upgrade to a better computer. I played a free version of SP that came with my Fighting Steel game and I could'nt get into it because I could'nt see anything. The 2D battlefield and looking down on everything drove me nuts, so I went back to my East Front/West Front games with pleasure. After playing the CM gold demo,however spoiled me on East Front/West Front. I could'nt enjoy either game after that. So if you enjoy SP play it and have fun. It's only a game.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Well, I played SP1, SP2, SP3, SPWW2, but since I have CM I did'nt care trying to download SPWAW...

IMO, both games simulates in essence the same things, but the gameplay is MUCH different (and better in CM smile.gif ) : the 3D battlefield, the sound environment and the WEGO system makes for a much much immersive and "realistic" experience (as far as I can suppose, cause I never fought WW2 ... wink.gif ).

SP, although very good, is still a standard wargame, where each one in turn play his pieces, with lots of gamey tactics. Not more with CM, but well, everybody in this BBS says that since months...

------------------

PDF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Well, I played SP1, SP2, SP3, SPWW2, but since I have CM I did'nt care trying to download SPWAW...

the sound environment and the WEGO system makes for a much much immersive and "realistic" experience<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to disagree as far as the sound environment goes. SPWAW beats it hands down...

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

I have to agree about SP getting gamey at times. But SP:WAW is lightyears better then the old versians, and I've played them all. Its like comparing the original VW bug with the new beattle. I Can't wait for versian 3.0

Plus SP:WAW now has HUGE maps so there is more stratgy in it now, if you wanted it. Those monsters can take more then a few hours.