Tank Surprises

Man - I had always considered the Churchill a dog of a tank - I was astounded to discover that it has superior frontal armour to the Tiger 1 !!! Pretty potent gun on the later model Churchill too.

A question - Why is the M5 Stuart more expensive than the M18, M10 and M36? Sure, it isn't open topped, but it doesn't pack the high calibre punch that the others do.

GAFF

I have fallen in love with Hetzers, JP-IV's, and JPz-70s. You get a good bang for the buck (especially in defense scenarios) and the frontal armor is proof against most allied 75mm and bazooka rounds.

I tried to get three or four, hold them in reserve, then move them out once I determine the main push of the allied attack.

Of course, the weak side armor is a definite disadvantage, as I had a Stuart take a JPz-70 out from the side from 400m. frown.gif

Open topped vehicles are prone to all sorts of problems --

- Close Assaulting infantry kills them..Easily

- Mortar rounds can kill your vehicle. Even little 60mm are sufficient...I know frown.gif

- Be careful when you drive down a street, men on the second story can kill your crew.

While some of the OT vehicles are quite nice, and are a good bang for the buck, in some scenarios you have to be *very* careful with them. They can be quite vulnerable.

Guest Scott Clinton

I just had a VETERAN M36 (w/90mm gun) miss TWO shots while not moving and not under any sort of fire at the broad-side (complete 90 degrees off front) of an Panther. All this happened at a range of exactly 100m (yes one hundered not one thousand!) frown.gif

If this continues, I would have to say they are still over priced! wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Turret

I had 54 casualities with one Stuart and 32 with my other in one battle! They can scoot out of a tank threat and they can mow infantry down while surviving small arms fire much better than any halftrack. If used well and kept out of danger they are quite effective in the general situation.

The Stuart that killed my Jpz-70 was a real pain in the butt. It charged into the middle of the town I was defending, got off two quick shots that killed the panzer (first killed a crew member, second killed the tank), then proceeded to wade through my defenses for the next couple of minutes (killing about a dozen of my grenadiers), before I was able to move my Jpz-Iv around and put a 75mm in his rear.

It was very disconcerting to have such a speed demon move through what I thought was a nicely placed defensive position.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

Man - I had always considered the Churchill a dog of a tank - I was astounded to discover that it has superior frontal armour to the Tiger 1 !!! Pretty potent gun on the later model Churchill too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was one of my biggest surprises also, I first met one on

the opposite side of battlefield on one of my first quick battles.

My jaw dropped to the floor as my panther kept on pounding it

without any results. Wot is dis beast!

I was quite surprised to find out, the allied also had very potent

heavy tanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

That was one of my biggest surprises also, I first met one on

the opposite side of battlefield on one of my first quick battles.

My jaw dropped to the floor as my panther kept on pounding it

without any results. Wot is dis beast!

I was quite surprised to find out, the allied also had very potent

heavy tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had decided to try out the almighty, all-killing Püppchen in a QB. British Mech. Inf. w/a Mk VIII in support. At ~450m, my Püppchen engaged the Churchill and killed it with the first shot, full frontal. I look forward to the rise in Püp prices.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

I've used the "All-Powerful Puppchen" in a number of quick battles, and in my experience, my Puppchen Crews (regular experience, not green) couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.

I bought 6 in a defensive battle, and by the end of the battle, there were 5 crews running around, 1 crew dead, and no casualties caused by any of them. They had at least 8 armored targets to shoot at, which started out 300m away with nice lines of site - NO KILLS. Lucky for me, it was just an experiment to their effectiveness, and the 2 jpz/70's took out the allied armor(5 shermans, 2 hellcats and an unidentified SPG).

Somedays, sh*t happens.

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Germanboy

It is a German secret weapon, aka V-3. Standard loadout was a dinghi and a dressing table, TC was always named Barbie, loader/driver was Ken. Available in pink and mauve, with some special Safari versions.

------------------

Andreas

Puppchen?

Sorry, I'm at work, and hence can't have a look myself. What AFV is this?

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A small gun firing rockets about as effective as Panzerschreck, but with greater range.

Puppchen?

Sorry, I'm at work, and hence can't have a look myself. What AFV is this?

GAFF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AT gun that fired the same warhead as the schreck. It doesn't appear in the support list until sometime in 45 if I remember correctly.

------------------

Teutonicc

The MEMBER Formerly Known

as Teutonic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

I've always loved the Church, but my biggest surprise with CM was the fast turret. Is that accurate? The turret traverse motor obviously doesn't use Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrics if it's that good. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL! Takes me back to my days as a MG Midget owner- It lived in the shop smile.gif

I ran into some Churchills in a PBEM game and bot did they do a number on my MkIVs. Those turrets are dynamite.

------------------

No matter where you go, there you are.

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EMAN:

Stuarts is a very fast tank it could out run any panzer but might not penatrate the armor smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually that 37mm gun is quite nice against panthers at relatively close range and in the side and rear. it's when they're facing tiger 1s that things get a little dicey.

i believe the m5a1 has 3machineguns which - if true - makes it quite the 'infantry force multiplier.'

imho

andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paullus:

I have fallen in love with Hetzers, JP-IV's, and JPz-70s. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i figure if it's not a jagdpanther it's not worth buying... =grin= actually i've only used a jagdpanther once but was quite impressed at the first-shot kill of a firefly which popped its head over a hill.

some say jagdpanther was 'the best td of any nationality' in the entire war.

expensive i know but if it survives long enough to shoot at valuable enemy targets... well worth it.

will have to give the jgdpz4/70 series a try.

i used to like hetzers until using them in cm =laugh=

it's probably just me.

andy

The item I'm still wondering about is why does a 'Super' Pershing cost less than a 'Regular' Pershing? (The kryptonite shot-trap, perhaps?)

Yah, the Churchill VIII's can be a boon or a bitch, depending on which side yr on. If yr lucky enough to get a few HEAT rounds with the Inf Support 95mm, it more than makes up for it's slow speed.

And speaking of speed --- that's all that ever keeps my Stuarts alive! Just use 'em like their namesake would: Drive like hell, and hit-and-run (preferably from the rear!).