How to appear smartet than you really are.

Usually I do it by having lots of reference material handy, and look lots of stuff up. Or you could use a very cool site that is either (a) obscure (B) kept a secret by those in the know or © everyone knows about it and I'm dumber than everyone else because it took me a while to find it, then learn how to use it.

It's http://leav-err.army.mil/call.html

Then click on the CALL icon - CENTER FOR ARMY LESSONS LEARNED

OK this is real nerd type stuff. As a student of history I'm a pig in mud, but if history isn't your thing you might not appreciate it. Some of us know of the very cool literature at: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/books3.htm But when reading stuff there they refer to other stuff in the bibial, bibblee, you know the end where people list there sources of information.

There was one in particular I was looking for: Cairns, Bogardus S. "The Breakout at Anzio: A Lesson in Tank-Infantry Cooperation." Military Review 28 (January 1949):23-32. Found it - AMAZING!

The trick is to use the BOOLEAN MODE. Type in the key words to use and search. You'll find it's slow sometimes. But while looking for the above article I ran across a few others. You'll notice that some of the text is ragged, well that's what you get when you read original documents and convert them to computer text.

Like:

FAILURE OF GERMAN LOGISTICS DURING THE GERMAN ARDENNES OFFENSIVE OF 1944

FALLEN EAGLES: THE ITALIAN 10TH ARMY IN THE OPENING CAMPAIGN IN THE WESTERN DESERT, JUNE 1940 – DECEMBER 1940

with the chapter:

CHAPTER 2 ITALIAN MECHANIZED DOCTRINE AND ITS DEVELOPMENT

06 - SEPTEMBER 1945

ARTILLERY WITH AN AMERICAN ARMY IN EUROPE -- SEPTEMBER 1945

Artillery with an American Army in ,Europe' PREPAREDBY BRIGADIERGENERAL CHARLES E. HART Artillery Officer,, First U, S. Army FOREWORD BY COMMANDING GENERAL, FIRST U, S. AE~~ The flexibility and power of modern artillery is such that, if properly organized and coordinated, it constitutes a formidable striking power continuously available tm the commander- a power, moreoveI:, that may at any time be applied wide and deep over the battle area at the most decnsive locality. This broad statement applies to all field forces embrrrcing the combined arms, be that force la~ ge or small. This has been demonstrated time and again during the long campaigns of the First U. S. Army in Europe in 1944- 45. For this reason, I commend the following article as being worthy of careffil reading by senior commanders and gfmeral staff officers. Prior to joining this Command in October 1943, the author, the Artillery Officer, First U. S. Army, gerved as Ii Colps Artillery Officer throughout the canrpaigns in Tunisia and Sicily. General Hart's words carry the authority of several years of intensive combat experience. /s/ Courtney H. Hodges General, U. S. A., Commanding, Firsk IJ. S. Army

THE SOVIET CONQUEST OF EAST PRUSSIA; SOME MISCONCEPTIONS CLOSE AIR SUPPORT; THE ARMY IN CIVIL DEFENSE; THE EBEN EMAEL OPERAION -- MARCH 1950 document_creation_date: 19500301

The Soviet Conquest of East Prussia Translated and d, gested by tbe MILITARY REVIEW from m article by General A. Niessel im "Revue de D6fensi Nationak,- (17rance) JUIW 1949.

THE FIRST WEEK N THE BATTLE OF FRANCE -- OCTOBER 1949

Translated and digested by tbe MILITARY REVIEW from an article by General G. Roton in "Information. Militaires" (Franc.) ' .4uwst 1948. '

And just in case there's anyone else who has and interest in history beyond 1939 - 1949.

AN ANALYSIS OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TECHNOLOGY AND STRATEGY AND HOW THEY SHAPED THE CONFEDERATE STATES NAVY

GERMAN OBSERVATIONS AND EVALUATIONS OF THE U. S. CIVIL WAR: A STUDY IN LESSONS NOT LEARNED

. . . So the lessons learned that Moltke and his crowd missed watching the US Civil War.