Possible AI Glitch? (SPOILER)

I was playing VoT as the germans when I shot a Sherman with the 75mm AT gun in the bunker. However, even though the round penetrated, the tank still remained operational. Then, the tank reversed and headed to the corner where it stopped with it's rear facing towards my german lines (I know this because I had a platoon of my infantry duking it out with two American platoons and support weapons in the tall pine woods). I don't think the gun was damaged because if I had gotten a gun hit it would told me so right above the tank after I hit it. Is this supposed to happen or is this a glitch in the AI?

All American

As far as the gun hit thing. I'm pretty sure it's possible to cause gun damage. In one Vot game against the AI I just finished, I caused a penetration with my Panther, but the Sherman kept on cruising. When the game ended, that Sherman managed to survive, and it showed gun damage when I scrolled through the US units. I know it wasn't attacked by any other units after the penetration, so that's the only way I could see that happening. That same game, another Sherman appeared to get spooked when my Panther appeared. It went into reverse and popped smoke. and backed up all the way to the edge of the US side of the map. Didn't know it was there until the end of the game when I saw it while scrolling through.

When my Panther arrived, it destroyed to of the four reinforcement Shermans. The two remaining Shermans popped smoke and reversed (keeping gun and frontal armor to me). I believe the AI is right on.

As for the Sherman that took the round and kept going? I wouldn't be surprised if the 75mm round went in one side and out the other of your Sherman. The armor, weapons and what not are accurate (except for the lack of the M1 Grand) but that's getting to stinkin' picky. I'm not sure about the AT 75mm in the bunker, but I know that the 75mm on the Panther had a greater muzzle velocity than that of the Sherman. This would allow at times for the shell to go in and out of the target. smile.gif

Flix

I just wanted to make something clearer. I'm not complaining about the penetration not destroying the tank. That's a definate possibility in real life and I trust BTS's knowledge on tanks, guns, and their armor. What I'm complaining about is the tank reversed out of LOS of my bunker but then went head first into a corner. Even if the gun had been damaged I don't understand why the AI would do this as the tank could still be used as a MG carriage. Also, by going front first into the corner, the tank left itself very exposed not only because it had it's rear to the german lines but it would have a lot of trouble spotting enemy troops (btw, it was destroyed by one my panzerschrecks that sneaked up behind it). I know that it's very difficult to create a perfect AI but someone had had a similar problem with tanks going into corners in the beta demo but BTS responed to the person't post saying they had fixed the problem.

All American

P.S.-Just remembered that I had seen this happen before in the gold demo when I damaged a tank's gun. I remeber the game ending and I was scrolling through the map when I saw a M4(75) Sherman in the same ccorner that the Sherman in my previous post had heeaded into. However, it's frontal armor was facing the german lines.

[This message has been edited by All American (edited 05-21-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

If your shell literally strikes the enemy tank's gun CM will tell you. But you can knock out the gun without hitting it directly (e.g. destroying the internal fire controls) and this information may not be reported to you.

We'll keep a lookout for any AI propensity to hide in the corner when losing a tank gun. No sense in having a cowardly AI! smile.gif

Charles

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

As far as i can tell it is quite normal for you not to know if you have knocked out the main gun, you may know you scored a hit but you would not know that the main gun was damaged or inopperable - it is somehow realistic this way. It could be that the crew were shocked and were disorientated, or maybe just scared. But i would still have thought that it would reverse out of harms way.

BTS, I echo AllAm's observation. In a game of VoT this morning I watched TWO AI Shermans (105 and 75) withdraw from combat in the valley approaching Plomville, REVERSE up the road toward the American lines, and wind up sitting in the SW corner of the map (far right/rear from the US PoV). I hadn't seen the gun hits that spooked them, so I was thinking they were doing something sneaky, like waiting in reserve. I sent a PS team and some infantry support all the way there along the S edge of the map (like 5 turns of movement). Then the stupid PS team MISSED with its last 3 shells, and the infantry had no 'fausts to try. So, for the remainder of the battle, those two tanks sat in that corner, hemmed in by one PS team (sans ammo) and 2 squads of dog-tired troopers.

DjB

Guest Scott Clinton

> We'll keep a lookout for any AI propensity

> to hide in the corner when losing a tank

> gun. No sense in having a cowardly AI!

If the AI determines that a tank that has had it's gun destroyed is better of 'hiding'...then why not have the tank simply move off the map?

I would much prefer this to hiding in the corner. Seems MUCH more realistic to me than either the tank staying and fighting as a mobile MG pillbox OR hiding in a corner.

Anyone have a problem with the AI withdrawing units OFF THE MAP?

I sure withdraw my units off the map when needed: prisoners and crews specifically. Am I the only one withdrawing units off the map (why not move them off the map)?

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 05-21-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

I sure withdraw my units off the map when needed: prisoners and crews specifically. Am I the only one withdrawing units off the map (why not move them off the map)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do it all the time --- reduces the posibility of casualties.