Assault boats...embarking/disembarking question.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

OK, I don't know if this has been covered before, but what kind of terrain is necessary to embark and disembark infantry from the assault boats? Do the boats "hover" on shore at the beach or can the infantry just jump on them when they're just off shore.

I ask this because as Madmatt said in the DAM thread, that he might do an Allied assault with boats and it got my mind a thinkin'. wink.gif

------------------

"I am not interested in the names of your fathers...nor of your family's lineage. What I am interested in...is your breaking point!"--Gen. Chang

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

OK, I don't know if this has been covered before, but what kind of terrain is necessary to embark and disembark infantry from the assault boats?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dry land

(sorry, i couldn't resist biggrin.gif)

Actually OB&G, In addition to the Dam assault, your question is relevant to another CM scenario (82nd airborne river crossing at Nijmegan)

All-American:

It only failed because the Brits didn't listen to Sosabowski! smile.gif

He had several spots picked out that would have been EXCELLENT, but XXX Corps and other Brits said NO, cross HERE, which ended up in failure of the crossing and the loss of Brits also (43rd Inf, I think). The Germans shot a parachute flare up and that was it.

Ah, I love to read about the Battles around Arnhem. Basically, a lot of people the Brits regarded as second class would've had a better chance of winning... smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

RE: Assault Boats,

They can move on lan. Technically you could have the guys stay in the assault boat and push the thing like an inch per turn on land.

<grin>

But really the way assault landings work is like this. You set the boat waypoint to the "beach" area or even a little in from it.(It needs to be on land.) Before the boat even hits the beach you can set the infantry passengers waypoint to some location on dry land (preferrably under cover and running).

As soon as the boats hit the beack the infantry will disembark and haul ass. It looks pretty cool actually. You cannot disembark infantry in water and expect them to move unless it is a ford site. Hope that helps.

Los

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Thanks Los,

That's kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. Kinda like how you can order infantry to disembark a tank, but they won't until the tank is stopped for a while.

So what were saying here is infantry can't swim?

You should be able to disembark infantry in any water, if your willing to pay the movement or possible drowning penalty.

Is there actual "depth" to water in CM?

If not, then we have to be on dry land to disembark, right?

That means, infantry will not be able to cross a deep narrow stream, and that doesn't sound correct.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

DB, we already know this to be true.

In LD there is a river, and this river may only be crossed at the bridge, or one of the two fords.

Could be classed as an abstraction. If you really want to make a river swimable/fordable, there are ways around it using the scenario editor. Just use fords for the entire length of any shallow river/stream that you want to create. Or perhaps swamps - which have the added advantage that vehicles will not move through them.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-13-2000).]

"So what were saying here is infantry can't swim You should be able to disembark infantry in any water, if your willing to pay the movement or possible drowning penalty. Is there actual "depth" to water in CM?"

I you dump off infantry in water above their head then depsite whatever you see in the movies, they are not going to be combat useful after it's over. (Try jumping off a boat into the ocean with a 60lb ruck, 30 lbs of webgear and weapons with out having prepared your kit ahead of time for that particular method of insertion.)

However CM has a water type known as ford (Shallow water) that infantry can cross without a problem albeit slower. Also there are pontoon bridges and assault boats to handle water crossing.

Sure there could probably be several water types added but that will have to come post release or in subsequent versions. (I can think of other more pressing terrain types myself) Right now you have two types of water, deep and fordable.

Cheers...

Los