What are your best scores in demo?

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

I was wondering whether anyone has beat the computer to where he has a score of 0. Closest I got was 19, and the best has been 84 for winning. Just curious. Wish those Shermans would stop damaging my Tigers gun from 1000m, I may have a better score. Thank God for my V-7 Stug, he usually gets 2 or 3 of them and makes it through. Last game on LD he got 31 infantry kills and 3 Hellcats. I love him man, but he cant have my Bud. smile.gif

And CE is so easy for Americans, I usually only lose 1 Sherman and get all of the Stugs before they become a factor. The Panzerfausts are much more dangerous than the Stugs IMHO.

Ray

------------------

SWAT 3 Page

Guest Madmatt

Go to CMHQ and look in the AAR section as there is a game with a PERFECT score of 100 to 0...At least it used to be in there... confused.gif Damn I got so much stuff in there now I cant remember whats where!

Maybe I should roll out that Site Index Feature I have been working on?!? wink.gif

Madmatt

p.s. ok I just checked, go into the AAR section, then the Chance Encounter area and look at Bil's AAR, pretty damn impressive!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-14-2000).]

Guest MantaRay

Well Madmatt, I was talking about the computer, not PBEM. I think it would be harder to get a 100-0 score on the computer than a human, especially since the AI bugs out when it is getting hammered. I think Bills game was the exception not the rule.

And I would play PBEM, but everyone I have inquired as to playing either has too many going or doesnt send me the turn back. And my friends dont play Wargames so I am stuck against the computer. Always find a game that way. smile.gif

Ray

------------------

SWAT 3 Page

Not sure what the score was, but I've played one very interesting gave of LD against the AI.

First I cut through his forces in town, killing his entire starting force and positioned my tanks for a showdown with his reinforcements. Turn 10 came, and guess what happened; he surrendered with his reinforcements barely on map! I was quite astounded about this, but realized that the AI cannot have known it was getting any...

Jens

Guest Schuggerbaby
Originally posted by Madmatt:

Go to CMHQ and look in the AAR section as there is a game with a PERFECT score of 100 to 0...At least it used to be in there...

When i read this AAR first, i thought it was a joke! Please tell me it is one....

Schuggerbaby

Ah, all I managed was 98-2. :( CE, sent the shermans over the hill, around through the German deployment zone and back on fast, then let the computer attack my entrenched infantry with his, past my 5 shermans in support, then shelled the woods and took 'em. Of course, I tried the same tactic a second time, and the stugs happened to be pointed in the right direction... bam, 5-1 to the computer. :)

-John

Personally I think there is way too much emphasis on points in CM. If you can accomplish your objective with minimal losses, or even with massive losses if the situation warrants; and if you can do this and keep your opponent from accomplishing his objectives, then you win. No matter what the score is. I have made a few scenarios in CM that you are supposed to lose, they are just to test tactics in a certain situation (i.e. withdrawing under fire, etc.)

I just finished a PBEM game that ended up a draw (55-45), but I held on to all the objectives, and virtually destroyed his force. Of course my force was in pretty sad shape also, hence the draw, but I accomplished my mission, my opponent failed at his. Too me the point scores don't mean diddly. I was succesful, my opponent was not. That is success in my book.

In the perfect game, I won by being careful and not trying anything risky. The standout thing about that game was not that I had a perfect score, but that I had ZERO casualties. That is how you should measure success, IMO.

Bil

Well I just whipped the computer with me playing as US in LD. Score 97 to 3, the jerries surrendered on turn 12. Hell my hellcats never even got the chance to to shoot up some German armor. Well I guess the AI forgot the "I" in that game.

dano6

Bil, aren't you arguing two contradictory things? You say success should be measured by how well you accomplised you objectives and how few casualties you took. But isn't that just what the score measures? How much damage you did to the opponent as well, I guess, but shouldn't that be counted as one of your vital objectives too? Thus, using your own argument, aren't points a valid indicator of your success?

I agree, trying to get better and better scores in particular scenarios is kinda missing the point, but what do you expect? We only have these three scenarios...

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I agree, trying to get better and better scores in particular scenarios is kinda missing the point...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. Exactly my point John. In this game the point scores are not always indicative of the results achieved.

It is for this reason that I will probably never participate in a tourney where results are based on your score alone. When I finish a battle I look at whether my forces accomplished their mission, then I ask myself if they are in any shape to fight on the next day if needed. That is how I measure success. I guess it goes back to my military days. A 55 to 45 draw is fine, but if one side is totally wrecked as a fighting formation, and the other still has some teeth, then the second formation is in the superior position, and in an operation, would probably pursue and annihalate the retreating unit.

If you play an Operation, or better, in the CMMC, then you better concentrate on mission accomplishment, rather than how many points you scored.

Bil