V5 or GeFore 2 ??

Is there anyone here has tried the GeFore 2 card on CM yet? How is it? I mean the graphix improvment are huge or just better?

I'd like to get V5, cos somebody here seemed to be quite satisfied with V5's FSAAx4 on CM, but I am little concerned of other on- coming games like B17 2, was told GeFore 2 would be best card for it.

Would be appreciated if some can tell their hands on experience.

Hello

I have a GeForce2 card and it works great with CM. As far as FSAA, I do not have it turned on. Earlier versions of my driver did not support it (and if it did, it killed the framerate).

Supposedly the new versions (v5.30+) of the GeForce2 card is supposed to support FSAA.

I dont think you can go wrong with either card.

Hope this helps

Jonp

I purchased a V5 last week and installed it on my system. I had some problems running a few titles but the main problem was that I had some very hard crashes with the V5. When it did run, the V5 made CM look amazing with 4x FSAA. I did have a few anomolies with the mouse cursor but other than that it was fine. However, the play to crash ratio was just too much and I exchanged the V5 for a Creative Annihilator 2. I have had no problems with the new card. FSAA looks a little better on the V5 but colors seem to be more vibrant on the Geforce2. CM looks great on both.

Check the forum threads. I just saw a work around for some of the V5 problems. I wish I would have known this last week when I had my V5. I wonder if this problem has cost 3dfx any customers like myself?

As for B-17II, I am sure it will look great with either card but I did remember reading somewhere that it will support T&L which is a feature of the GeForce based cards.

Allan

Just upgraded to a Geforce 2 last friday... CM works perfectly with it, and game runs fast even when these Amis lay down smoke all along the map in VoT wink.gif

Yet, it is way too expensive in my opinion, so buy it only if you are to use it at its best. Otherwise I would suggest a Geforce 1, which should prove OK for CM.

All in all if you decide to buy a Geforce ( 1 or 2 ), take a Winfast from Leadtek. Definitely more reliable than every other card out there...

Hope that helps...

Magnus

PS : I should add that every time I changed a component in my computer, I had problems with various programs, but never with CM !

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

Either card will probably be good. V5 has FSAA that apparently really works while the Nvidia drivers that come with the Geforce 2 cards don't really do FSAA all that well for now. This will most likely change in the future though. V5 is also technically cheaper but Creative Labs' Annihilator Pro 2 is about the same price so V5 doesn't have the price advantage anymore (if you look only at the suggested retail price. Internet store prices may be lower on both cards). However, Geforce 2 has better framerates at higher resolutions and supports hardware T&L which doesn't do you much good now but will within the near term future. It may be expensive but the Geforce 2 has many features that games in the future will support while the V5 doesn't support hardware T&L which greatly limits its longevity compared to Geforce 2. Ultimately the geforce 2 may be a better choice since V5 is not really all that much cheaper, has better performance at higher resolutions, and has features that game designers will use for the games of the future. V5 does have their T buffer effects which add things like streaking but most of the top game designers find hardware T&L to be more useful.

The V5 FSAAx4 is really fantastic with CM. I got the card primarily for CM and only CM. And I wanted FSAAx4 at high resolutions with good performance today, not hopefully tomorrow.

As for lots of smoke slowing down the performance, that is only in FSAAx4 mode, not in the other modes of V5 operation. When the smoke gets really heavy, I usually turn it off to see what is going on anyway, even before I was using the V5. The only time it gets bad is when the Americans smoked the entire village in VoT with artillery. When plotting, who keeps that smoke on? You can hardly see a blasted thing. I do turn it on for the action. Those brewed up wrecks sure have pretty smoke...

Regardless of capabilities for now or in the future, what card supports what, what will most likely be the best next year, and so on, all I cared about is what was best for CM now and the rest was noise. FSAAx4 was what got me to shell out for the V5, period.

If a future version of CM introduces more enhancements to use some new 3D card capability that I find I got to have, then I'll buy a 3D card again. What is money when compared to increasing my immersion factor with CM?

But for today, its FSAAx4 + CM that makes the winning combo for me. Which ever card delivers that combo with the best performance and appearance is the best choice for me for this year.

PS: I never had the install blues with V5. I got lucky and ignored the initial drivers on the root directory on the Install CD. I stepped down through the windows directories manually and installed the more up to date driver, being rewarded with no headaches at all. I did setup Win98 with a generic VGA driver before removing my old boards and putting in the V5. I think I got lucky...

------------------

Garry Kump

V5 5500 baby biggrin.gif.... biggrin.gif .....3dfx are the trend setters again with everyone one else trying to play the catch up game in the months to come. The only down side is that there are some drivers issues for them to work out but when they do...... eek.gif

I posted an in-depth how to get the proper drivers installed if you have problems beyond following the installation guide. smile.gif

FSAA by hardware kicks FSAA via software any day! cool.gif