Waterloo (OT)

I'm a big fan of Gettysburg and the engine would do Waterloo well. However, neither Gettysburg nor Antietam had cavalry charges modelled so I'm most interested to see how these are implemented, especially given the importance of cavalry charges in Waterloo.

------------------

---

I am Legend

[This message has been edited by Disaster (edited 08-15-2000).]

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Yeah, have to see about the cavalry, imagine 4 player internet games, 1 commanding the Pussians, One the Brits, And 2 diffrent french commanders. very cool. I would like to command Davots(sp?) Corps! sign me up

Mr. J, odds are that you'll need more than that smile.gif If the engine is ANYTHING like the SMG or SMA engine (and it should be virtually the same except for the cavalry) you'll be hard pressed to command more than a Division in real time ... at least I would be. But I'm still looking forward to it. I cut my wargaming teeth on Napoleonic miniatures.

Joe

Hey Mr. Johnson, Louis Nicholas Davout was NOT at Waterloo! At Napoleon's request, his best Marshal was something on the order of 'Minister of Armaments' (or War, something like that). Napoleon felt he needed a capable and trusted ally (a) in Paris, and (B) in charge of France's military industry, in both cases to prevent political sabotage by Bourbon Loyalists. This clever political move is probably what cost the Emperor his brief campaign because had Davout been in command of the same troops Ney commanded at the battles of Quater Bras and Waterloo, the outcomes would have been quite different.

And I agree with Disaster's statements about the Gettysburg/Antietam engine. Despite the engine's obvious strengths (some of the best tactical AI in any wargame to date), I don't believe Breakaway Games is going to inject the AI with a major dose of 'Napoleonic smarts'.

If anyone's interested, I'm working on a CM map of the Waterloo battlefield covering the area Braine l'Alleud - Mont St Jean - Frischermont - Aywiers - Plancenoit - Mon Plaisir (roughly). Anyone familiar with the setup will realise that I've had to scale it down a bit to get all that in, but the proportions are as near as I can get them, and it should make for an interesting map. It's about 1500m x 2400m give or take (I'm at work & can't remember exactly).

All the main features are done, and I just need to do the elevations and finer details. If anyone's interested, I can mail it on or make it available for download somewhere. I'm not sure what way I'd set up a WW2 secanrio for it, though.

There's still a fair bit of work to be done, but if it works out well I might try Ligny and Quatre Bras next.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Some of the people developing Waterloo were part of the group that bolted from Talonsoft.

It looks fairly nice graphically. I wonder how well it will play being a real-time game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see a couple of old ASL names there too, which is reassuring. It's occurred to me that going with real-time might not be too bad (although you'd want some kind of replay function) given that in a Napoleonic battle, things would probably move a bit more slowly. It might get tricky if your basic unit is the battalion, though (which I'd prefer). Oh well, wait and see...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Mr. J, odds are that you'll need more than that smile.gif If the engine is ANYTHING like the SMG or SMA engine (and it should be virtually the same except for the cavalry) you'll be hard pressed to command more than a Division in real time ... at least I would be. But I'm still looking forward to it. I cut my wargaming teeth on Napoleonic miniatures.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo on your first comments. I remember you bringing attention about this a month ago, Joe, and it's good of you to post a follow-up here. Beyond player micromanagement, though, I think the "command & control" rules for this Waterloo game will have to be raised a bar over what I saw in SMG. As it is in CM, I think that the farther away a unit is from its leader, the longer it should take to respond to movement orders.

All the same, I'm watching too. I'm also curious to TalonSoft's Age of Sail II, and REALLY hope for that game (due 11/00) to be pulled off right.