Air Support Problems

Shouldn't there be a Forward Air Controller calling A/c from the cab rank to strike particular targets? - or same in an Airborne Observation Post (Auster or Lysander) marking targets with coloured smoke for the A/C to attack. Otherwise it seems CM is just simulating free range FB missions over a tactical battle - which is begging for mistaken air attacks...

Rattus, The Marine corps developed the art of CAS in the pacific, and were the 1st to place Pilots on the ground with the grunts as spotters. This worked beautifully and helped speed the doctrine of CAS. there are reports of US Army units fighting in the Pacific that were amazed at the accuracy of the Marine Air. While there was CAS in Europe, it was not as effective. For what its worth.

------------------

Semper Fi.

Concurr, I understood it was largely the excellent cooperation & long association with the marine air wings that made CAS so effective in Korea & the pacific by the US. Certainly having FAC's who did not specifically work either with the same army units or the same air force units greatly hindered effectivenes in Europe. Nevertheless, despite its failing this was the system they used so I tink CM should model it? smile.gif

I have YET to see a CAS mission in CM!!! They never seem to appear in QB's. And I think that CAS isn't modelled realistically in CM. I feel the restrivtions on CAS are more to prevent their overuse. FRUSTRATED!!!

EZ

The mere fact that you were allowed to purchase Jabos for a QB would indicate the weather was Clear, so that's not it.

When Jabos show up in a battle is just about as random as their loadouts (rockets, bombs, or cannon?). Tho for the most part, they've usually shown up in the first 10 turns (or less) whenever I've tried it.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rattus:

Concurr, I understood it was largely the excellent cooperation & long association with the marine air wings that made CAS so effective in Korea & the pacific by the US. Certainly having FAC's who did not specifically work either with the same army units or the same air force units greatly hindered effectivenes in Europe. Nevertheless, despite its failing this was the system they used so I tink CM should model it? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Close air support in the ETO began pretty shakily (as noted), but did improve after July 1944. Check out some histories of the 9th. Air Force. They began putting air controllers up with the leading troops, often in their own armored vehicles, as did the British.

Michael

Personally, I don't put much faith in CAS in this game. Too expensive, and too dangerous to the friendly side. I was playing a quick battle as the US experimenting with different units. My FBs came in and took out 2 of 3 of MY 105mm howitzers. Neat effects, but not worth it in my opinion.

Now give me the British and "start the purple!!"

------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

I had the good fortune to have some CAS appear on time, on target, and to good effect, dropping two 500 lb bombs and a slurry of rockets onto my opponent over several turns. Two well-positioned AFVs were spectacularly KIA'd. Scared the hell out of me when they ran out of targets and started strafing a wreck though...

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

As I am still awaiting my copy of CM,,,could you enlighten me with regards to...

*Can you tell the AIR SUPPORT who and where to attack... e.g. that pesky bugger of a Tiger that is holding up your advance in a built-up area...

your comments would be much appreciated...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

They don't even need to be that close to the enemy, to judge by some of the stories I've heard. Jabos are a caveat emptor purchase for sure.

On the other hand, watching that perfectly positioned StuH which had me stalled detonate under a stream of rockets was pretty sweet smile.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

Well I have some idea now of what to expect when I get the full version...

Thanks fellas...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

Just to give you an idea of what can happen, I played a scenario in which I executed a beautiful all-out infantry charge against a weakly-held position. There happened to be a German tank on the hill, and I decided to close-assault it, since it seemed rattled by my arty fire and was mostly just sitting there. So I gathered up my nearly full strength platoon and bazooka team and gave them their movement orders. During the turn, as they were advancing, I heard a Jabo. There was a tremendous blast -- and the THREE survivors of my platoon ran for their lives to the rear. The worst of it was, the Jabo didn't even take out the tank it was aiming at. First time a computer wargame has made me just want to cry.

-- 19 Echo