Ok. What we'd like to see in CM2?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Doug Beman said:

." Then the guys in individual platoons got "okay Johnson, you guys run to that tree and hunker down to wait for the Jerries. Wozkazinski, you get into that hedgerow and watch for their tanks."

Hi Doug,

As Company commander of the above platoons,

I merely want to use the coordinates in lieu

of "that tree". If, and this is a big if, the

cursor remained exactly where it's pointing at in the "1" view as it is in the zoomed

out views I wouldn't have a leg to stand

on in my insistence that the inclusion of

coordinates is crucial relative to the placement of the squads in the exact spot

which -I- determine to be optimal in viewing

the landscape with the "1" key.

Given the limitations of the graphical depictions of landscape on a PC, I don't see how the inclusion of such could be deemed

unrealistic.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Odd

Odd, there is a great way around this problem: while you're in the 1 view, and you use the LOS tool to select the PERFECT spot, leave the mouse alone and hit F(ast) or M(ove) etc. The appropriate movement order line will appear. Click right now, and presto! YOu have a destination dot set at where you determined "that tree" to be. Then, if you want to tweak the position, zip the camera over to the waypoint and use right-click to drag the marker all over hell and back.

DjB

CM2 will be 2 years off I think - so

P3 800mhtz Coppermine is the minimum system smile.gif

I want better AI

I'd like a Strategic Divsion level layer, when you have battles you zoom in and fight it out CM stylee tongue.gif Yeah with full supply etc

Possibly more soldiers represented per squad - with varied stances and position for each figure. I think motion capture would help a lot here - no point in trying to animate human movement with 3d software.

Yeah I'd like it on the PlayStation 2! The PSX 2 would just make CM fly right as it is tongue.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my music while your there! :P

Originally posted by Bamse:

This sounds like CC3 frown.gif

Does it? I'm way too much of a control freak to take a WWII RTS game seriously. tongue.gif

I like the abillity to be able to see that my mortors are laying smoke in 35 seconds, soo I tell my platoon to charge in 45 seconds...etc biggrin.gif Youv'e got too love it!

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

CCJ, the PSX would probably be able to handle the graphics end of the game, but is the number-crunching power up to the task of AI for dozens upon dozens of units?

I always thought that was the edge that PCs had over consoles: greater number-crunching, as opposed to the 3D hardware of a locked-box game system.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Ok, how about this... a "hunt" command for infantry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But.. but... Think of the poor animals, man!

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Doug are you serious?!

The PSX 2 has a 128 bit 300 mhtz cpu, without the burden of windows/os layer! 6 gigaflops of number crunching is better than any Mac/Pc I know - even the G4 can only crunch 1+ gigaflop. And it can process 18 Million polygons a second in raw crunching numbers. Tell me what Mac/Pc combo can do that now, and all for $299 US retail!

Also having a set system is a big plus to a game developer! No tech problems like on a PC, and to a lesser extent on a MAC. The PSx2 will have a HD and keyboard and mouse extras, plus USB and Firewire ports. Alos OSny if bringing out a wireless, broadband network too!

There is a game getting released alongsid e the PSX2 in march that is a Japanese Feudal strategy game, that has ever single soldier displayed on the screen! I mean 300+figures! smile.gif Its called Kessen. Not only that , every single horse of the cavalry acts differently. By That, I mean they act naturally and not as a single unit, they move at different speeds with different animations etc. Tell me that doesn't sound impressive - and the GFX for each figure makes any Quake 3 or Unreal Tornament figure look like a low-poly barbie doll that they are biggrin.gif

click this to gpo check out some movies and pics! http://psx.ign.com/previews/13357.html

http://www.dailyradar.com/previews/game_preview_174.html

kessen2in.jpg

kessen3in.jpg

kessen13.jpg

kessen7.jpg

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my music while your there! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-02-2000).]

CCJ, I NEVER said the PC is better at GRAPHICS.

The mention of gigaflops is in connection with floating-point calculations, which is what makes 3D graphics. (the floating-point edge is what makes the Athlon slightly better at gaming than an equal-speed Pentium)

The floating-point ability, however, is not what's involved in things like AI. AI is calulcated by a combo of sheer processor speed (to come up with the individual actions of all the objects in the game) and memory (to give the processor as much to work with at once as possible) and in that, PCs are the thing. That's why things like weather forecasting, rendering etc are done with computers, and not Playstations. The PSX2 might be able to make the weather map LOOK prettier, but it can't do the sheer volume of calcuations needed to create a weather simulation.

DjB

Doug the PSX 2 is just a cpu in a box, as in a computer - no different

The EMotion engine as SOny dubs its cpu can crunch numbers no problems. Things like wind blowing hair around, and Ai etc are all part and parcel of the GFX and number crunching power of PSX2, you can't have one or the other on a 128 bit console. You still crunching power to make all the 300+ figures act and move properly.

FLops is used to crunch numbers in AI no?

specs

PlayStation 2's Specs

Along with its announcement of the next generation PlayStation, Sony released a sheet of the system's features and specifications:

Specifications and Features:

Internal Computing Power:

CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"

System Clock Frequency: 300 MHz

Cache Memory Instruction: 16KB - Data: 8KB + 16KB (ScrP)

Main Memory Direct Rambus (Direct RDRAM)

Memory Size: 32MB

Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2GB per Second

Co-processor: FPU (Floating Point Unit): Floating Point Multiply, Accumulator x 1, and Floating Point Divider x 1

Two Vector Units: VU0 and VU, Floating Point Multiply, Accumulator x 9, and Floating Point Divider x 3

Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS

Imaging and Graphics:

3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 Million Polygons per second

Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"

Clock Frequency: 150MHz

DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48GB per Second

DRAM Bus width: 2560bits

Pixel Configuration: RGB

Alpha: Z Buffer (24:8:32)

Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons per Second

Audio:

Sound: "SPU2+CPU"

Number of Voices: ADPCM: 48ch on SPU2 plus definable, software programmable voices

Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)

Input/Output Communications:

IO: I/O Processor

CPU Core: PlayStation (current) CPU

Clock Frequency: 33.8MHz or 37.5MHz (Selectable)

Sub Bus: 32 Bit

Interface Types: IEEE1394 (FireWire), Universal Serial Bus (USB)

Communication: PC-Card (PCMCIA)

Disc Device: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM

-opps I underquoted the 18 million polygon/sec max rate! biggrin.gif Its actually 75 million!

CCJ

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-03-2000).]

Yeah but it can still do at least 18 million (the number need for a movie) it can render Toy Story in real time - that says a lot tongue.gif

75 million is the raw polygon count, without any effects or game code running. WIth Fx and game physic and ai running etc - I would still excpect at least 12 million. To give you an idea - a Dreamcast puts out 3 million polys a second, and it looks good and runs fast! So you can just imagine a PSX 2....

Well if a CPU can crunch 6 gigaflops, the interger processing should still be up there.

I've seen it in action, and boy it lives up to the specs! biggrin.gif Everything moves! No static backdrops here...hair blows in the wind, grass moves, people in the background move, eye lashes on characters are depicted etc -sheer detail and smoothness. Everything is rendered at 120 fps, then motion blurred down to 60 fps wink.gif

Seeing is believing

CCJ

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-03-2000).]