CM Has Ruined Me

Tried to play a game of CC2 tonight and saw it in a whole new light. That game's AI is a complete joke and after playing CM for a couple of weeks now, it seems even worse. I cannot go back to that series now after seeing the future of war gaming...Long live CM. CC2...rest in peace.

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Tried to play a game of CC2 tonight and saw it in a whole new light. That game's AI is a complete joke and after playing CM for a couple of weeks now, it seems even worse. I cannot go back to that series now after seeing the future of war gaming...Long live CM. CC2...rest in peace.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things are just starting to get interesting in our PBEM game also Colonel.

The map is dominated by two hills. One at the rear has given the Colonel an excellent overwatch position on which he has stationed a Panzer. It has been taking shots at my Infantry as I try to cross the open ground on the other hill to launch an attack into a village.

Whump! Where the H@!! did that come from? Was all I could think until I finally spotted it! It has taken 8 turns to cross a few hundred meters of open ground just because of that one panzer. Which of course at this time is id’ed as “Panther?”.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-09-2000).]

Yes, it is getting interesting isn't it. I'm still in the dark though as to if it's caused any damage to the enemy. If this were CC, I would know if I killed a man running across the field or if I at least injured someone. All I'd have to do is mouse-over the enemy squad for details. But since this is not CC, I'm still in the dark.

Now, these men are bunching up around a tree line outside a vl with some support from a rifle team in another building nearby. My men holding the vl have no idea if they are facing fresh squads or men who have been already beaten down by the tank on top of the hill. Very realistic. Information in this game is hard to come by and each bit you get is so important.

The vl is in the building I hold and yet, just by moving enough troops into the area, Abbott has been awarded the flag...for now.

If this were CC, I would just be able to stay here and hold the flag since I'm on top of it. But this isn't CC and now I'm forced to either grab another flag or move more forces into the area to re-take the vl.

It's true what they say...you must relearn everything. CC rules do not apply here.

And now I will shut up before I disclose any info that will give my opponent an advantage over me.

------------------

CM has ruined me for more reasons than one. The support from BTS and the community of CM players is fantastic! All the mods keep me hopping, trying to decide on what I want to change the looks off to suit MY personal tastes. The things like Tom's CD case cover (already on the case that had my old handlettered cover) and services like http://tournamenthouse.com/CM/ and CMHQ among others which are avaliable to us. The play by the AI which is not predictable after a while like most games. The near instant replies from BTS on questions and suggestions.

What worries me now is playing in the other periods that I like to wargame in, love to see this format for ACW, Nap and Ancients. The 3D, FOW and WEGO system would be so good with those, make cavalry and light infantry do their jobs in a historical manner! Hard to complain while you're being spoiled, huh!?! Goofy

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

The attack out of the tree line into the outskirts of the village was proceeding nicely. Everything going well (after ten turns of maneuvering) the Americans have a toe hold in the outskirts of the village. Very light casualties have been taken to this point. I have a 105mm fire mission (100 rounds) I have been holding on to. Call it in and WHAM…friendly fire right into my attack! Arrgh, what a troublesome development.

The Panzer on the hill has adjusted its position. It has also been positively identified as a Panther G (oh great). It begins shelling the treeline where my troops are trying to recover from their own artillery barrage. To add to this daunting turn of events a large gun opens fire from behind a wall 300 meters distant from the treeline…..

I have moved the Panther to another overlook spot in the back of my flank (I was blessed with 2 of them in this scenario) but the new fire lanes the Panther had have now been at least partially obstructed by a gigantic smoke screen layed down by Abbott.

Aside from this, things seem to be going better after recovering from a botched Arty strike (mine too hit friendly territory instead of his men.) He is still funneling his attack directed towards a major vl and it seems more men are coming in every turn. I am skeptical about whether I can hold him off as he obviously has more infantry than me.

It has grown into a very interesting game.

------------------

I have advanced and occupy the first vl (victory location) with some losses from the shelling from the Panther and the gun. The smoke screen has forced the Panther to enter the village on the far end. Things are a bit touch and go at the moment but I am confident I have rendered most of the German infantry Combat ineffective. An artillery strike is landing on the gun position. Dealing with the Panther G remains to be the problem...

Col Deadmarsh!

Glad to see you mixing it up and that you have seen the errors of your ways (ref CC!).

Now perhaps we can resume a battle? Looking forward to locking horns with you (as with my other CM buddies). I currently have 5 battles going against 4 opponents.

Dusty

AKA

Nitsud4

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Awright!!

Both of you stop this immediately, and make some real AAR results. They look something like this:

Turn X:

1. My assessment of the engagement.

2. My plan for this turn, not just what but why.

3. What actually happened. Embellishments encouraged.

4. The Aftermath.

Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that should be done. This battle is in progress (PBEM) right now though and is heavily contested (read Panther) at the moment. Can't give to much information away smile.gif