Fear of the unknown

Found this in The Fall Of Eben Emael by James E. Mrazek, and I thought some of you might find it amusing:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Another incident illustrated the prescience of Captain Kock while a unit comander on the Russia front. As was the case with most German commanders during the war, he found himself faced with an aggressive and overwhelming Russian force. His unit was taking heavy losses and something had to be done. Stored in his unit's supply dump were barrels of chalky blue powdered limestone. This was used by German ground units to indicate their trench systems to the Stuka dive bombers. Koch ordered this powder spread during the night in a belt 20 yards in front of his trenches. Koch's troops, puzzled but obedient, did his bidding. From the time the chalk mysteriously appeared between the German and Russian trenches the superstitious Russians did not attack Kock's position.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Germanboy

I wonder how Steve and Charles are going to model that in CM2... Where we will also finally see the kitchen sink, I have an inkling...

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I wonder how Steve and Charles are going to model that in CM2... Where we will also finally see the kitchen sink, I have an inkling...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how will BTS model the variants of the Soviet ÏÔÈÏÖÅÅ ÍÅÓÔÏ? And will the Cossack ÐÏÓÕÄÏÍÏÅÞÎÁÑ ÍÁÛÉÎÁ regiments be included with their various detergent loadouts?

Without answers to these questions, I will refuse to pre-order.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Agreed. Suspicious makes more sense.

1) Shows you that Germans belived that Russian were superstitious (ie very backward/uneducated)

2) I see no proof that Russians did not attack because of german action. Other reasons were possible.

[This message has been edited by killmore (edited 06-02-2000).]

I personally know quite a few Russian and it seems to me personally that the women are the supersitious ones. The men don't really seem to care one way or the other.

One Russian friend of mine named Masha was afraid to name her baby after someone who was still alive for fear the angel of death would be confused! Now THAT is superstitous.

I have met a few Russians who were officers in the Red Army, and they stuck me as far from superstitous. Granted they were officers in the 60-80s. But I don't think 20 years would make that big a difference.

I agree. I think the Russian didn't attack for fear of some chemical agent. Considering how bloody the fighting was on the Eastern front. Each side was really pulling out all the kitchen sinks to throw at the enemy. I think that fear of a chemical agent is a logical and reasonable assumption.

Lets remember the Germans were very racist, and Russians were not even seen as human. It makes sense that a German officer would dismiss this incident based on his assumption that the Russian were backward louts who would be afraid of blue chalk for some unknows slavic superstition.

I do remember reading a quote by some German General (who was he? don't know). He said properly trained the Russian infantryman was the best in the world. The keyword is properly trained. I don't think in the middle of WWII with the Germans on the doorstep of Moscow that the average Russian infrantry man got a whole lot of training.

late

Phandaal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like to know how/if they would model those four legged friends with the special little packages on their backs. Now THAT would be the kitchen sink.

(Note, no smilies were harmed in the making of this post)