Potato Mashers vs. Fragmentation grenades

Are grenades modeled differently for the Allied and German players? The German "Potato Masher" grenade could be thrown farther thanks to its handle, but didn't have as much explosive power, while the allies used fragmentation "pineapple" grenades that often made the thrower duck as well when it was used.

Also, will the British have Gammon grenades to take out tanks with?

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

Guest Madmatt

As I recall,

Yes, they are different (German lower Blast rate but slightly further range)

and

Yes Gammon Bombs are in...

Actually ALL Airborne Allied troops can be issued Gammon Bombs and they will work just like the Satchel chages when used against Tanks.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-25-2000).]

Having tossed large numbers of both US-style Frag grenades and Soviet-style stick grenades, I don't see where you claim that one can be tossed farther than the other. In fact it's (at least for all the guys I work with) easier to accurately toss and egg-type grenade than a stick-type but then again most of us grew up playing baseball and whatnot.

Los

Los

Guest Scott Clinton

> Having tossed large numbers of both

> US-style Frag grenades and Soviet-style

> stick grenades, I don't see where you claim

> that one can be tossed farther than the

> other.

I read of only one test (British) that showed the German 'stick' grenade could be tossed further.

I personally have never been fully convinced by this 'common' (mis?)conception. Now, having someone that has actually thrown both say this, I am even less convinced that 'stick grenades' were inherently easier to throw farther.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Username:

Los if you have thrown grenades then you know it has nothing to do with baseball. I have thrown M26 and WWII "pinapple" grenades and you do not try to heave a fastball. You will throw out your arm or shoulder. You really catapult them.

I believe one arms manufacturer tried to get the size/weight down to baseball dimensions so that we (americans) could "hrow them out at the plate" But I believe it was a minigrenade and not too effective.

Are the russian and german grenades comparable? I believe the german is longer.

Maybe at the first annual CM picnic we can have a contest with mockups. I have a WWII pinapple that I can fill with sand/lead to weight it correctly. Anyone have a german stickgrenade?

Lewis

I think soviet grenades are significantly larger and heavier than the German grenades. Also, the egg-style american grenades are significantly smaller than the pinapple grenades. In otherwords, the modern comparisons are probably sort of iffy.

If you mix it all together you get a potato and pinapple omlette. Yum!

Sage

Actually Lewis you are somewhat correct in that if you want to ensure you don't throw your arm out on a long toss you wing it more like a football than a baseball but I can assure you that when **** is flying you just heave that ****er as if you are beaning someone with a rock.(For a long range shot) than you hit the dirt.

Los

You guys are starting to scare me, with all your knowledge of grenades and how to throw them.

IN all the pictures I've seen of Potato Mashers being thrown, the thrower is kind of flinging them out sidearmed, arcing sort of horizontally, as opposed to a baseball, thrown in a vertical arc. In this case, a longer handle would provide more leverage, and enable longer throws.

------------------

-Ian Hamilton 1920

I believe Lewis and I were talking about throwing egg type grenades not potato mashers, (at least I was).

Anyway it's a non-issue, there's is no cause or justification for chnaging the grenade ranges in CM, the differnce between the two in that aspect is not worth modelling.

Los

Isn't the basic theory on a stick grenade is that the 'stick' part acts some sort of lever with the throwers arm and that leads to increased throwing distance?

I'm sure some physics person knows the actual terms for this. In a book I have, it mentions that German egg grenades were cheaper to make (and equally prevalent) than stick grenades.

Jason

Originally posted by guachi:

Isn't the basic theory on a stick grenade is that the 'stick' part acts some sort of lever with the throwers arm and that leads to increased throwing distance?

Yes, the handle acts as a lever. If you consider the fact that you are throwing the explosive part of the grenade, then the handle basically gives you six inches more arm length, which aids in throwing.

------------------

-Ian Hamilton 1920

Guest Username:

I believe the WWII german sticks were like tomahawks when thrown. And if "cooked off" correctly, you could get an air burst at long distance.

Since it isnt a fragmentation grenade per se this might not be an advantage.

Most frag grenades BTW werent that great in WWII. The pinapple casting really only works if it is on the inside of the grenade.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username::

Since it isnt a fragmentation grenade per se this might not be an advantage.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Germans did make fragmentation "jackets" to put on the outside of their grenades to get frags. I believe they even tried something similar with the Panzerfaust, to kill infantry riding on tanks being shot by panzerfausts.

------------------

-Ian Hamilton

I bought a "surplus" pineapple grenade from the Army surplus store when I was a kid. (a hole had been cut in the bottom so it couldnt be repacked). Id go into the field behind my house and practice hurling that bastard all day. 2 or 3 hundred feet tops, but i was only 12 or 13 then. It definitly could throw your arm out if you were overly zealous with it. And my first few definitly were.

Guest Username:

LOL!!!

I have a hollow WWII US grenade laying around. Bottom hole no innards. I doubt anyone can get it a hundred yards!

Lewis