Tank Museum

Speaking of tanks museum. If you ever go to Saumur, France do not forget to pay a visit to the tank museum, one of the most complete (from WWI to home made AFVs of the yougoslavian conflict) and impressive collection (German WWII tanks some of them still able to move). cool.gif

------------------

Nicolas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> German WWII tanks some of them still able to move <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually they DO move and parade for spectators. It is called "caroussel" and it is every year around July. According to their HUGE collection I believe it really is worth the cost to go and have a look. I personnally will go this year and have the photos posted on my website.

I think that for every tank amateur it is something interesting to hear and see a tank moving...

See more here : http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/

Regards,

Olivier

PS : one of my friend did go to the caroussel and saw several tanks on the move. According to him the more menacing of them was the Panther. Big and really noisy smile.gif

While it is not very obvious from the website, a lot of the tanks at Bovington Tank Museum (the tank museum of the first posting) are runners, and small shows of around 3 tanks occur a couple of times a day for much of the tourist season (see visitor info for details - but note that I saw this around Easter, well outwith the advertised times). The shows are free with the museum admission (and if you are sneaky, I suspect you could watch the show without paying; you walk one way frm the parking lot to buy tickets and the opposite way to the track where they run the tanks....

They've got a superb collection - certainly well worth a visit.

I visited the tank museums at Munster, Sinsheim and Koblenz when I visited germany a couple years ago. I'm dying to visit Bovington and Saumer sometime and perhaps the big one in Russia someday (Kablinka?) Munster and Kolenz where fantastic, depite no "running" demos. Sinsheim had alot of stuff, but it seemed kind of trashy to me. Less a museum and more a fun-plex with tanks (and a killer classic car collection), but alot of great stuff regardless. I was really impressed by the Sturmtiger. I didn't know any were left...

I still have to visit Aberdeen too. Might as well stop by Ft. Knox while I'm at it..Sheesh. I need a real life...

Zamo

Aye, that Bovington Camp Tank Museum is just EXCELLENT!!!!!! And yes, most of the tanks there do run still--I was there once when they were driving them around inside to rearrange the exhibits.

Ft. Hood, Texas, also has 2 good tank museums, although primarily of US WW2-modern and captured Iraqi stuff.

The link in my sig is to a lot of photos taken at all 3 of these museums.

-Bullethead

people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-03-2000).]