New Mod: Total Conversion of Graphic Interface for CM

deanco

Hi folks,

For all you mod hungry people out there, I've redone almost all of the user interface graphics (except the Map Editor) and am releasing them as a complete package. What you get are new front end screens, new cool buttons, and a compete overhaul of the Unit and Battle info screens. The changes are too numerous to mention here, so I made a website where you can check out some screens first and download it from there after reading about it.

http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

I'm looking forward to your reactions.

DeanCo--

Hey you know what? THAT'S COOL AS SH*T!!!!

I humblely submit my site, CMHQ, at your service if you would like you mod hosted!

I LOVE THEM!

My only suggestion would be on the Scenario list as the red and white text is a little rough on the eyes but other than that VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to put something into this community because I think for the most part y'all are a bunch of fine people. If you get pleasure out of something I made, great. I'm happy.

Madmatt, I would be honored if you would host my mod. And I'm very happy you like it. I will send it to you after posting this.

TankDawg, no it doesn't. It's concieved to be used as a whole package.

DeanCo--

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 09-26-2000).]

DeanCo,

I LOVE the changes to the unit interface in terms of their ability to convey unit info more readily, but honestly find some of the lettering hard on the eyes, both because of the contrast between the letters and their non-black background, and because of the "3d"-type fonts chosen. Examples of this are the titles like "Attacker", "Defender", "Help", the "Allies/Axis" labels, and the scenario description lines (in red letters) on the scenario/ops menu screen.

Maybe it's just my eyes--I've got better than 20/20 uncorrected vision, and see glare/monitor imperfections that don't bother most folks--but I'm not sure I could use the current lettering/color combinations for very long without eyestrain. Any chance you'll do a more subdued version?

Regardless, it's a great idea, and I'll certainly test it further or maybe add it to my "alternate BMP" folder to see if it gets easier on my eyes with more use.

Jim

Hi Iconoclast,

Thanks for taking the time to post. This is the kinda feedback I need. The 3D fonts I can dig, the red background I can understand too, but do you find the lettering in the main unit info area hard on the eyes too? Thanks.

I will look at the 3D font thing and the red background again. Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to distance yourself from your work, and see what's right and what's not.

DeanCo--

Great mod! The only suggestion I have echoes the comments about regarding the contrast with some of the buttons (IE some of the lettering is just a little too bright). Otherwise, looks great. Thanks for your hard work!

------------------

"The real groundbreaker of CM isn't the 3D modeling, it's the 'holy crap! what the heck was THAT' factor." - Dalem

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

Hi Iconoclast,

Thanks for taking the time to post. This is the kinda feedback I need. The 3D fonts I can dig, the red background I can understand too, but do you find the lettering in the main unit info area hard on the eyes too? Thanks.

I will look at the 3D font thing and the red background again. Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to distance yourself from your work, and see what's right and what's not.

DeanCo--<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DeanCo,

I just went your mod again, both before and immediately after running the original. My nits with yours (and that's what they are--again, it's a GREAT idea) *do* seem to boil down to the 3D fonts you sometimes employ more than any other single factor. For example, at the bottom of the opening screen, the BTS name and your credits both look fuzzy because of the font chosen.

In terms of the main unit info area--certainly the one that gets the most eyeball time--I find the font used for the word AMMO a bit fuzzy, and the fonts used to denote unit morale tend to make the letters blend into the background color. DON'T change the color--watching that go from green to yellow and red is a great visual cue-- but make the letters of the words like "OK" and "Alerted" stand out more starkly by getting rid of the faux 3D highlighting.

The only color change per se that I would suggest is that you consider something other than the dull red (muted brown in the original) that fills the box around choices like "Scenario Briefing" and "Done" on various screens.

BTW, I run CM at 1280 X 1024 on a 19" screen, so some of these comments may stem from the fact that I use 'itty bitty' letters and therefore notice when they're fuzzy more readily than someone with less visual acuity or running at lower resolutions. I'm glad you're genuinely open to feedback--lot's of folks say "tell me what you think" but mean "tell me it's perfect".

Great mod! I think some of your pinks are a bit off on the Mac though - you might want to update that.

I know that MadMatt has a bit of info regarding that...

The only other bit is some of the color combos are a slight bit hard on the eyes.

Either way, this is a KILLER mod - keep it up!!! :o

Just one little change I'd think about: In the unit status area, where the information is given about number of function men and number of casualties, perhaps the red cross could go on a white or cream background. At present it looks a bit like "OK 9 + 1", which would certainly get the mathematics students going... Brilliant job overall though, I love it. Any chance of doing the map/scenario design interfaces next? Please, please, huh, huh?

smile.gif

Hi gang,

OK, this is good. It seems like all the negative comments seem to be focused in one area, that is, visual contrast. Of course I didn't think of the fact that people will be looking at my mod in all resolutions and a bunch of different video cards and different sized screens. So I can see that my mod isn't for everybody at this point, but that's OK, I figured there would be some bugs. I'm just glad all the comments focus on one area.

I have a big meeting right now but when I get back I will start working on some of the issues that y'all have brought up. Some are fixable, some are not, but I'm looking at another day's work at least. Fixing the files isn't so hard per se, the most time is spent organizing the changes and making sure I don't copy file A onto file B by mistake smile.gif . Thanks for your comments, I'm hoping they will help make my mod even better.

DeanCo--