Review at CDMAG.com

Guest Zulu1

Guest Zulu1

"Yet, any new tactical game will now have to meet Combat Mission’s standards. The designers of those games may have an insurmountable task."

5 stars out of 5. He loved it. smile.gifsmile.gif. But then, why wouldn't he?

About time they posted that review, got this from a nice guy working at gamespot:

Howard,

Yes I do very much enjoy deep strategy games as well as the occasional

wargame. While I've personally only had a little time to try out Combat

Mission, it looks to use its 3D engine to the best possible advantage for

realistic gameplay. GameSpot does have a full review of Combat Mission

coming this week, so you can look for that in a couple days.

Best,

Sam Parker

Am I the only one who expects to see infantry move their heads back and forth while viewing screen shots? smile.gif

After expanding one of CD-Mags screen shots, I was taken off guard by the lack of head motion by the US infantry occupying a house. Then I realized I must be very tired.

If they give it five stars, they should also put it onto the WAR main page, no? When did they last have a game with 5 stars rating?

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

What gets me about the reviews is that most of them seem to miss alot of the real depth of the game...the things that make it truly cool.. I guess it comes from them only having played the game a week or so, while some of us have been following its developement for years.

But I'm thrilled to see praise, no matter what the source or nature. And I'm relieved that they outscored the games of the close combat series.. I don't think I could have lived with CM drawing the same rating as CC4.

Chris

ps, bigtime, where are the deadly american rocket tanks?

BTS can take pride in this review. Not because this review sheds new insight on the game, because it does not. Most people on this board know more about CM and can appreciate it's realism and it's historical accuracy more than CDMAGs reviewer can. But CDMAG folks is the gaming mainstream, and they rarely - rate a game 5 stars. CM folks received a 5 star ranking. If the mass market reviewers can give this game 5 stars without truly appreciating CMs depth and historical accuracy - well BTS, just let me tell ya - you not only have a great wargame game on your hands - but you got a classic game that will go down in gaming history as one of the greatest games of all time - along side Civilization ... because your game not only appeals to the hardcore wargamer - it also appeals to the mass market.

Thank you guys, not just for making just a great wargame, but for reviving the wargaming market. For a while I thought realistic military simulations were dead. You guys proved them all wrong smile.gif A salute to BTS is in order smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRourke:

What gets me about the reviews is that most of them seem to miss alot of the real depth of the game...the things that make it truly cool.. I guess it comes from them only having played the game a week or so, while some of us have been following its developement for years.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, this is so true. Figure a reviewer has a set number of hours to screw around with this game. It's not enough. I still come to this Forum and read things that other players have seen and go 'Goddamn, I wish that had happened in my game!' And sometimes it does! Truth to tell, I pre-ordered this game before I downloaded the Beta Demo, and most of the reason why is because of the comments I found on this site. The reviewers have given this game a big thumbs up...but they can't begin to understand its complexity and nuances until they've 'played' it, not 'reviewed' it. What comes through about this game is: even the casual user will get up on his hindlegs and say: Damn! This is Fine!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.