Just an idea for CM2

Guest AggroMann

Guest AggroMann

Was playing a QB earlier today, and had the ambient sound turned off. Not the normal sounds just the background rumble.

It was just an infantry confrontaion in Summer. As i ordered my german squads forward they all said their little phrases as always but it seemed really bland afterwards as they just ran silently across the open.

I turned on the ambient then to give it some more flavor, but still i felt something was missing. Then it quickly dawned on me that the infantry should have their own traveling noise as well. Vehicles make sound when they move, obviously, but why not infantry?

Maybe the pattering of feet as they run down a street or the general noise that their gear makes as they walk around. Something to replace silent walking and running.

Anyways just thinking that maybe this could be incorporated into CM2. As an option at least.

What do you others think?

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

Guest barrold713

I like this idea. I like it a lot. Dammit that is one excellent and on the surface seemingly easy to modify. Although some of the sound mods that might come about because of this...

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest Germanboy

I quite like this too. I am currently playing a batallion sized infantry only PBEM and it sort of freaks me out when I go from a PBEM file with armour to this one, because it is all silent. Would be nice to have some clanking, shuffling etc.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-30-2000).]

Yikes. I thought that the game immersed me enough now this. Gee wiz Batman, if they do that we'll start dreaming in CM 3D. Thanks to you people and your total gaming experience ideas I'm beginning to lose grasps at reality. Where's my Prozac?

------------------

"Free your mind!"

Not to goad BTS into including this feature, but Squad Leader has appropriate movement sounds for infantry in different terrain.

Squad Leader

As in letters from home, tanks that can point four directions, annoying voice quips("Mama! Eat Lead! How about a bullet for breakfast!"), machine guns that sound like my soldiers have gas, sucky game, returned to EB for a full refund. Don't tell me that SL is better than CM in one way...

Say it ain't so Charles.

Well, the letters from home I can live without. At what point in CM do the infantry sit around the campfire long enought to read letters from home, (particularly the example I saw posted from SL that had a fellow reading a letter stating his Wife was divorcing him, like anyone over there cracked a book on WWII to find out that was illegal under the Dear John Act - she could leave ya, she couldn't divorce ya).

But now that you mention it, what format are they using for them sounds. Perhaps some of the more appropriate ones could be, ah, well, borrowed? smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Depending on your fondness for the "Move out" and "March"-like commands, these could be replaced with the "noise of movement" from whatever source you could glean them from. Problem is that they wouldn't be constant while the troops were in movement.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And would be independant to the terrain your men are moving across and the speed they're moving at. Running jackboots on cobbelstone would seem out of place for soldiers walking across a pasture.