***OT: Stuff to Give Away***

Hi troops!

Ok here is the deal:

You all saw my post a few weeks ago about how I am not sure what to do with all of my old Avalon Hill Advanced Squad Leader stuff. I am going to give it away. I am going to give away a number of things that are complete; these being:

ASL Paratrooper! (Complete except the Training Manual chapter)

ASL Doomed Battalions. This is all complete. The so-called Dutch Trucks Module, lol

Avalon Hill's Tac-Air, a 1990's based hex game that is Corps sized (up to three divisions per side). It is cool because in this, you need to keep your units in command and supplied for them to be mobile and effective. It was fun.

As far as components, I am giving away ALL of my ASL counters. This includes every single module they ever produced. It also includes some add-on stuff from Critical Hit! like black SS counters (remember those?).

Basically, with the ASL stuff, I am keeping all of the scenarios (although I am in the process of copying them all for a binder, organized by date. If anyone may be interested in these, let me know. I may send them off later.), all of the mapboards (I already have #44 and #45, which is why Doomed Battalions is complete, same for Paratrooper!), all of the historical and Deluxe maps as well. I am also keeping my Rulebook. Ditto for the overlays. My desire is to color copy all of the mapboards, and put them in a binder, too. If anyone may be interested in these, let me know. The Historical ones I will keep the originals of, as they store flat smile.gif

Here is something else: while I was going through this stuff tonight, I came across my Micro-Armor. A boatload of it. This is when I came up with the brainy idea of giving all this stuff away. I have a lot of WWII stuff:

Here is a rough tabulation:

5 Pz IVGs

5 Jagdtigers

5 JPz IV

5 Stug III

3 Stug IV

5 Konigstigers (Porsche Turret)

4 Konigstigers (Production Turret)

4 Jagdpanthers

5 Pz IIIM (I think they're Ms anyway)

7 Panther G

13 SPW 251 (various types)

7 Tiger I

7 Pz IVH

5 M-10 Wolverines

5 M-36 Jacksons

5 M-26 Pershings

4 Fireflies

4 of the Sherman chassis with 155mm (I think) guns on them, whatever they're called smile.gif

5 M7 Priests

21 Shermans of all types

5 M8 Scout cars

5 M3 Halftracks

4 M16 AA gun carriages

5 Cruisers

5 Cromwells

5 Some other unsightly British tanks

20 KV I heavy tanks

5 KV-85

10 T-34/76

5 T-34/85

2 JSU-152

2 JSU-122

Close to $300 worth of Micro Armor. 80% of them have the first coat of paint on them, while 30% of them are done, with washes, drybrushing, tracks painted and all. The Panthers even have tactical number decals applied - and I will send alond the rest of the unused decals.

I just thought it was a shame to throw all this stuff away. I will check this thread to see if any of you might be interested in any of this. It occurs to me that in the unlikely (to me) event that a lot of people want something, we will need to figure out a way to divvy it up... Until then, I guess I will just toss this out there...

Thanks for reading (if you were able to stay awake...)

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

[This message has been edited by Crank_GS (edited 12-08-2000).]

I would be interested in much of the micro-armor.In fact, I would be interested in ALL of the micro-armor, but I am betting you get more people, so I will settle for whatver I can get!

I am tempted to take som of that ASL stuff, but I cannot credibly claim that I will ever use the entire set I currently have (neatly sorted and organized, and even clipped!).

Jeff Heidman

Guest Offwhite

Hey, I'd gladly take that Tac Air off your hands. Never hurts to have a spare set of counters for an out-of-print game. Heck, with two copies I'm 2/3 of the way to an umpired match.

I'm happy to settle any "dibs" conflict with a QB PBEM, you heard it here first guys...

lol Muzzlehead! You may be right, but would not that fact that I am enjoying CM so much mitigate their wrath somewhat? biggrin.gif

Offwhite, the TacAir is yours - you said the magic words: umpired game. You obviously will play it. Email me at wulf43@yahoo.com I will send it along. Be aware though, that with the Holidays here, I will probably not get around to sending it till the first or second week of Jan 2001.

And we have 4 folks interested in the Micro Armor... I will figure out a way to divvy it all up. Jeff, Martyr, Rother and Bimmer: you guys are all in the running. E mail me at wulf43@yahoo.com More to follow.

------------------

I'll put in a bid for the micro armor. I promise to keep it in good shape.

I greatly admire your generosity. True Christmas spirit.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 12-09-2000).]

What is ASL? Is it a cross between Monopoly and Risk?

BTW... anyone remember Diplomacy? I think that was the name of the game. I loved the back-stabbing and dealing in that game. Probably one of the few games which couldn't be simulated on computer so well.

------------------

Great Quotes

Maximus: "And what's that Rob? The rest of the world doesn't care? I can assure you that when Boris Yeltsin stepped down in Russia last New Years, the world cared. Oh wait, you live in Canada. That's right, Canada only cares 'aboot' Canada. The whole world could be on the brink of destruction and as long as Canadian soil isn't involved, they could care less. Does the phrase, "Isolationist China" mean anything to ya?"

Rob/1: "Lets just say I dont like americans ok... if you have a prolbem with that Minumis is one of the resions."

jshandorf: "Suck"

jshandorf: "How about Stephen Hawkins! Yeah! I would kick his skinny, whellchair ass any day of the week! Bring it on roller boy!

Hi MBates,

It would not be fair to either CM or ASL to say one is like the other, but each has striven to be the most detailed sim of it's genre, and they both became revolutonary, not just evolutionary.

Although in some respects, ASL might be more detailed, CM is way more dynamic (and certainly more detailed in other areas)> For me, the realization that I would never finish another ASL scenario was a sad one, but I have CM now!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

What is ASL? Is it a cross between Monopoly and Risk?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ASL is Advanced Squad Leader. It's a complete overhaul of an earlier game system that started with the game Squad Leader, and was expanded in a series of three additional gamettes (which required all prior sets). The most appropriate description of the ASL/CM relationship is that SL/ASL is the spiritual parent of CM. They are both squad level infantry games in a WWII environment. SL attempted to do many things that are difficult in cardboard: complicated turn phasing to be semi-simultaneous, fog of war, individual support weapons, morale, leadership effects, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

BTW... anyone remember Diplomacy? I think that was the name of the game. I loved the back-stabbing and dealing in that game. Probably one of the few games which couldn't be simulated on computer so well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another of my favorite games. Despite it being nearly impossible for a computer to play, computers have really helped the game. There's a very large PBEM community supported by an automated turn adjudicator system. It's pretty fancy, in that it can be set for any number of variants, as well as anonymizing email, and much more. Lots of information is available at http://www.diplom.org/

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

Well said, Chrisl.

Foob, I am giving it away (rather than throwing it away) because I realized a short while ago, that I will never - now that I have Combat Mission - ever play another ASL scenario. I just do not have the time. I can play a mutli-battalion battle in CM before I can even set one up in ASL. Add to that the fact that I do not really have any buddies to play face to face. (A minor problem, I am sure, as I could find them if I had the time smile.gif) The stuff occupies a LOT of my space, and I kind of need that space. I am keeping the rulebook and scenario cards and maps because I love the game system, and still want to have it around in some form. Also, I like converting the ASSL scenarios to CM format. My first few have been OK (need tweaking), and I hope to convert all of the scenarios that I never got to play in ASL. Eventually, I will color copy the mapboards and get rid of them too.

AS fas as the Micro Armor, bidding is closed on tham, as a lot of folks have replied already. Tac Air is gone, too. I may have a home for the ASL counters, but nobody has expressed interest in "Doomed Battalions" and "Paratrooper" - my 2 complete ASL modules.

Rother and 109Gustav, I need to hear from you two if you still want to be included. The plan is that it will be divided into 6 groups (assuming I hear from 109G and Rother). email me at wulf43@yahoo.com