To crawl or sneak?

I've read through the shipping manual (a pleasure so great that I made myself put the book down twice so a to prolong the joy) but I am still confused at to the primary differences between crawling and sneaking.

I've read on this forum that sneaking is a quick way to get your troops dead. Thoughts?

Actually, I love to sneak. It's a way ro stay alive, actually. Esp sneaking 'schrecks and 'zooks for that surprise shot.

I'd like to hear how others find crawl. It's slow, tires the squad and I haven't really found a good use. When I tried to crawl a pinned squad away from being a fat target, they still were through out the turn. So as a retreat method not much to reccomend it. Also I am not sure it is quieter than sneak. So when does it confer a benefit?

Enquiring minds want to know

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 06-27-2000).]

According to what I've read in the manual and from BTS's comments on the board, it sounds like troops are more likely to engage targets while sneaking than crawling (esp. with the 1.01 patch).

I assume that crawling is better if you want to keep hidden while moving into a location that may be in sight of the enemy. However, sneaking is good when you want to "sneak" up on the enemy and paste him when your unit feels it has a good shot.

Dar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dar:

However, sneaking is good when you want to "sneak" up on the enemy and paste him when your unit feels it has a good shot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds a littl like relation "move" is to the hunt command. But isn't really slow? Sneak can get you from in the woods to the edge w/in one turn. I don't think crawl can.

Guest Scott Clinton

Generally:

I move when in cover, not in LOS.

Run when I have to/need speed.

Sneak when close to the enemy.

Crawl into firing postion.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

One lesson regarding sneaking learned the hard way:

If I am running into a building, I now stop my movement at the very entrance of the building. Then I plot a separate sneak move into a position where I think the enemy is most likely to be in LOS. This is the difference between getting massacred as soon as you show yourself in the building "windows" and getting the first shots off unseen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sniperscope:

Guys the key to sneaking is your leader.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely right! W/out at least a decent leader it doesn't work as well. Also level of troop training. Green vs vetran makes a big difference. Once had two panzerschrecks up on ridge in CE. Same movement, same leader. One (of lesser training) got blown away, the other took out one of the two Shermans.

Good tip on the entry into buildings, JoshK, I'll keep that in mind to give it a try tonight.

But Sneak can be a little... odd.

I had a squad Sneak in the CE woods toward von Seanachai's MG42. They snuck... up to him, over the top of him, paused for a few, and on into the woods. Both units were firing the whole time. The MG lost some guys, I lost some guys, and snuck on.

The HQ was sneaking along behind them, snuck up to 3m from the muzzle of the same blazing MG42, and remained there for awhile until, riddled with virtual 7.92, he flopped over backwards.

So be careful with Sneak!

Guest Scott Clinton

Yep MarkIV I agree. I now rarely use "SNEAK" if I expect any contact with the enemy.

Sure wish we had a "Move to Contact" order... wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.