King Tiger Leaf Pattern Mod and new Tiger Texture Sneak Peak on CMHQ for Tuesday!!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks Sub smile.gif

She is a big one guys, but she came out pretty well after lots of playing around. I thought this old girl was worth it though, she is a classic piece of history indeed.

Guest Rollstoy

Dear KwazyDog!

Having seen this Tiger I can only say that CM graphical future is in good, skilled hands!

Regards,

Thomm

When will the Tiger be avaliable for DL? It appears to be part of a new ModPac, is that correct? And please, how about a "How to" article on this great scheme work!

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

Guest Madmatt

I was just thinking Kwazy, I bet all the fledgling mod guys don't know that they are not limited to the default texture size (resolution) of the textures in Combat Mission.

How about you briefly mention how to do 'HI-RES' textures!!!

I would guess that once mod authors realize they can bump up the textures we will start seeing much more setailed work coming out.

One word of warning, the bigger these textures become the greater impact on available Vram and the slower the game may become. On my big momma GeForce II I have yet to be adversly affected by any of the mods (hi-res and normal).! smile.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-23-2000).]

Yeah KwazyDog, tell us wink.gif

I've been able to add shadows and a bit of highlights, and have been steadily sharpening the images as can be seen here. This one is at the limit. Any further sharpening and the image gets messed up. I have all the bmps set to 1200 ppi resolution as well. The only thing I can add would be maybe photo-pieces that have been scanned.

tigerwork.jpg

-johnS

Well, I've tried sharpening the images, but the edges around the transparent pink turns a weird green and blue.

How do you change the pixel (or whatever) size, again?

------------------

Be sure and check out my texture mods on CMHQ.

Dave "Ol' Blood & Maximus Butticus" Molinarolo

Guys i'm no grognard, but am i completely wrong if i say this camo is actually no camo at all?

I wouldnt venture out with a Tiger that looks yellow/gold-ish if my life depended on it....and in WW2...it would have.

*standing head heaved, arms spread..waiting for someone to flame him*

------------------

And remember kids....dressing up like Hitler in school, is NOT cool!

Actually it's a camo from the east front, where yellow was fairly prominent in many camo schemes as the base colour, cept in winter where they whitewashed everything.

If you see it in game, it's quite effective at making the tank blend in. You are correct though. During the sharpening process, the hue changed from sandy yellow to a brighter yellow. Look at it now (above, new pic). This is very close to the dull sandy yellow camo used. It's also been sharpened up considerably.

-johnS

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 08-24-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks for the feedback guys smile.gif

If all goes well you all be able to play with her for real in the not too distant future.

Hi res textures are easy guys, for instance with the Tiger I did up I doubled the res of a lot of the textures for the model alowing me to get a lot extra detail in there. One word of warning though, this gets very VRAM expensive, dont just make them hi res unless you have the extra detail to put in there. Be careful in using them as you will soon max out peoples VRAM limits, which is one reason I havnt really mentioned it before, hehe. If you make every model a higher res textures even the largest video cards will be maxed out and people will have to start reverting back to the origionals. Im looking forward to seeing what others are going to do though, and if anyone would like email help please just email me or post on the forum and Ill help best I can.

In general, keep them as low as possable whilst still keeping the detail where you want it. Tiger, keep up the good work smile.gif Tricky getting all the texutres to match up, isnt it, hehe. The tiger I just finished probably took me a total of 10hrs, and the JagdTiger before that even more!

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-24-2000).]

Guest Rollstoy

May I ask a question here?

Does CM reload every texture when switching into 3D mode? For example from the map editor?

If yes, the following approach would be possible: go to the editor, create a map of minimum size and put a single vehicle on it. If the game updates the graphics every time you go into the 3D mode, you have something very close to an editor with minimum wrap-around time.

On the LAN, I would then use the magnificent freeware program 'Gimp' under Linux to open up ALL textures of the desired vehicle at once, each in a separate window.

At the Win98 PC, parallel to CMBO, a ftp window would run connecting the CM bmp folder to the working directory on the workstation.

With 'mget *.bmp' I could then transfer all bmp's in one go from the editor to the bmp folder.

IF CM updates the graphics when I switch into 3D mode I would instantly see the result in 3D!

This should make for a nice working environment ... after office hours wink.gif.

Just daydreaming,

Thomm

Guest Madmatt

Yes Rollstoy. If you are in the Ediotor you can task switch out to the desktop and copy new BMP files in and then go into Map preview Mode and see the new textures.

That is how I do a great deal of Quality Assurance checks on textures.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Rollstoy

Thanks, Madmatt!

Hope I can send you something for quality assurance, soon! After annoying everybody (and in particular Tiger) with my graphical nit-picking it is about time for me to contribute, too ...

By the way: with your Club experience, do you know any special place to go to in Chicago! I will fly over there on Sunday! Finally a conference not in France or Germany *yawn*!?!

Regards, Thomm

P.S.: How is Fionn?!?!

Guest KwazyDog

"Does CM reload every texture when switching into 3D mode? For example from the map editor?"

As matt said you sure can Thomm, in fact that excatly how I currently work on textures smile.gif A plain map with no trees loads nice and fast.

Guest Rollstoy

Thanks to you, too, KwazyDog!

A pity that there is only the demo installed here at the institute and I do not intend to carry the CD around all day! At home, on the other hand I cannot use Windows and Linux at the same time, and I do not have a usable Windows painting program.

Anyway, I think the Stug is very interesting as an object, too, so no problem for the beginning! And, believe it or not, I have an idea for a mod nobody has done before, hehe! Now where I get that free time? I have used 'get-a-life v2.1' but it has a bug that lets me not exit anymore ...

Regards, Thomm

Guest KwazyDog

No worries time, let me know if I can help you out at all. smile.gif

Hehe, as for where to find the time not that is a good question! I squeeze it in somewhere usually after midnight but before work smile.gif

Maximus, go to resize the bmp (resize image) and where it says resolution in ppi usually, switch that to a higher res. This will make the bmp considerably larger, with a corresponding increase in file size. Ugh. Much easier to work on but putting em up for download is going to be a real pain. You're looking at having to download around +/- 3 megs for one vehicle in hi-res.

I'm currently using a scanner and importing bits and parts onto my bmps for more added detail.

-johnS

Guest Madmatt

Cool clubs in Chicago would be (in no order):

(all alternative music with people with lots of peircings and tatoos!) biggrin.gif

Excalibur (Downtown near Planet Hollywood, most mainstream of all the clubs in this list)

The Dome Room (adjacent to Excalibur,very cool club with hot Bar chicks! Also rather mainstream but good mix of music and crowd)

The Exit (hehehee...Evil biker, black death sorta club. My old stompping grounds)

Neo's (may be closed now, on Clark Street. Best club in town, small freindly and the women were easy)

CrowBar (Blade Runner meets Mad Max and they open a dance club)

Berlin (Drag Club but still fun and great music)

Umm that should be enough to get you drunk, laid, high and beat up all in one night!

By the way, once you get into town, be on the lookout for a free Newspaper called "The Reader" which is basicaly an alternative press but it has tons of club discount coupons and info.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-24-2000).]

Guest Rollstoy

Ahh, thanks a lot!!!

Who would ever have thought that playing computer games can spice up your social life!

Now if only I can figure out a way to visit Angela Deth along the way ...

My sincerest thanks,

Thomm