Attention Hotmail users (current & former)

I am using hotmail(or at least trying to) for my pbem's. When the files are small I had no trouble with them, then when they get big wordpad can't handle them. If I am sent a zip file I have no problems(except I don't know how to MAKE a zip file). Is there any free e-mail that works without problems? Or can you give me a clue as how to ease my pain? When I get an e-mail I have to click on 'view attachment' then I can 'download file or return to message', if I right click on 'download file' and choose 'save target as' it saves it as a web page. I know am really slow at this but just give me time.

AARON

Here to help, lad.

It is easier if your opponent zips the files, so arrange this if possible.

If you do get a .txt attachment, all is not lost though. Go to 'download', and you will see the big hanging text file written in front of you, instead of a normal download.

That's okay.

Bring the mouse down into the text area and left click.

Hit SELECT ALL from the edit option.

Press COPY

Open MS Word or another word program.

Hit PASTE in Word.

SAVE as a .txt file (this is key - a normal word processor file won't do) in your PBEM directory. The computer may ask you to confirm that you want to save as txt, some stuff might be lost, blah blah blah - SAVE IT ANYWAY.

Close Word (I've had some problems if its left open).

Play play play.

Hope this helped. There's likely a simpler way, but this does work.

GAFF

I've used Hotmail and Yahoo for my PBEM games.

Hotmail works fine if the files you recieved are zipped. If you need to zip your files before sending, depends on your opponent.

With Yahoo. I never have had a problem recieving files in yahoo mail. I've only had problems sending files in yahoo once, and that was with one opponent. The rest worked fine.

Zipping files is the easiest way to get around any problems you may be having. There are several zipping programs avalible. Just do a web search on them. I use pkzip.

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM

I don't really have any direct help for your Hotmail question, but here's a couple of utilities that might help in your efforts. Power Archiver is an excellent & free archiving program that can handle zip files among numerous other formats. The Notepad+ program is a free text editor that is more flexible than Microsoft's notepad and doesn't have a file size limitation. And if you wanted to make your own self-extracting zip files, you could use the free program SFX Maker.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000B91,.html

http://www.powerarchiver.com

http://sfxmaker.cjb.net

I actually use hotmail as the media throughout. At first, I use zip and now I am trying to send just plain text and hit by tons of problems (sorry CDIC). Since I keep all my game turns so I think I am getting back to zip. For fellow Mac users, get MacZip, it works fine.

I think if you stick with copy-n-paste way, I really suggest one gets a "real" text editor. They are pretty powerful and best of all, most of them are *free*! I would suggest "Programmer's Editor" or "ViM" (again, my practice is at work here smile.gif ). They are available in most software archive like download.com or tucows.

Griffin @ work

Guest Scott Clinton

It ain't that simple folks...

I have hotmail and just gave up on it.

After the files reach a certain size when you try to 'Paste' the text you will get an out of memory error (at least on a PC).

Its not my hardware 'cause I have 256megs of RAM and if that ain't enough then Hotmail can kiss my... wink.gif

Zip it or just get a decent email account is my advise....like my grandpappy used to say "You get what you pay for." (and he really did say that too! smile.gif )

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Originally posted by pvt_ryan:

...I don't know how to MAKE a zip file...

I have WinZip on my PC. To make a Zip file right click on your PBEM.txt file and select "Add to ZIP archive" ( well, in the german version it is " Zu Zip Archiv hinzufügen").

Then attach this newly created Zip file on your E-mail. Hope this helps, even if the other members answered your question to some degree, but beware of the Zipperitis Maximalis a strange disease which befalls all Zip file users biggrin.gif

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post...woo-hoo. Unfortunately it doesn't have anything to do with WWII.

Well anyway, Scott -

The out of memory error you're getting comes from attempting to paste too much text into windows' notepad application (FWIW, it was designed this way). If you paste the same amount of text into windows' wordpad application or Word (or some real text editor for that matter), you won't encounter this error.

Furthermore, if you decide to use the whole cut/paste routine, I would suggest using "Paste Special>unformatted text" because using the straight-up "Paste" command can corrupt the file in CM's eyes.

As others have said, I think that zipping is still the easiest hotmail option. Not only does it bypass all the fun of cutting/pasting, but it'll also save you some space in your Evil Empire, er I mean HotMail, mailbox.

- Left4Dead

Guest Scott Clinton

"The out of memory error you're getting comes from attempting to paste too much text into windows' notepad application (FWIW, it was designed this way)."

smile.gif I thought I was using "Wordpad" but you may be right.

I should have reconized this from the very apt and descriptive error message they used for this 'intended error'. I could shoot people that code like this... frown.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.