Naive Question re suppressive fire.

I presume that in the turn that you send squads to assault , it is safe to maintain direct suppressive fire against specific enemy units targetted in the assault, but not wise to maintain area fire which presumably is just as likely to damage your assaulting units.

Am I right in this assessment in terms of the operation of this game.

Thanks for any comments by experienced CM players.

Not that naive.

Area fire is dangerous, yes. But so is direct support fire.

Units don't always notice if a friendly unit enters the fireline.

In fact, I'm not so sure they'll stop firing even if they see

friendlies in there.

So can I just ask a question and invite opinions-------Do you stop all suppressive fire both direct and area when squads are actually in the process of assaulting--------or do you stop area fire but not direct fire support------or do you maintain both during the assault.

I should be grateful for a range of views and opinions from experienced players.

Thanks.

One way is to pause assaulting units so that they arrive at the turns end, rather than starting off right away. That way suppressive fire has most of of turn to drive them to the ground before your brave lads make a go of it.

When you issue an area fire order for anything but artillery - and the firing unit is within LOS of the area fired on - the area fire order is automatically cancelled whenever friendly troops enter the effective zone!

You didn't know that? HA! Read the manual smile.gif