Double-blind games that aren't...

I was fooling around with the game a bit, and discovered that there unfortunately is an easy way to find out what units an opponent has selected in a Quick Battle. Has anyone else realized this?

[This message has been edited by Buckeye (edited 06-24-2000).]

Trust a Mac user to come up with that {sniff} smile.gif Seriously, a good point Buckeye. Unfortunately the only way the Tourney Save can be used, IIRC, is with an already created scenario. That would mean that someone would have create the Quick Battle, then save it as a scenario and THEY could then look at it before using Tourney Save. Or, as a PC user, am I up in the night yet again? smile.gif

Joe

------------------

Compliments appreciated, Questions answered, Death Threats reciprocated.

Yup, despite the fact that you're a stinkin' PC user, I'm not sure if there's a suitable workaround for this problem. But I don't have the experience with the game that many others do. So I'm interested if anyone knows how to solve this problem.

As always in the case of bugs like this, please refrain from posting them on the forum.

Just quietly inform BTS and let them sort things out in the next patch.

No one really gains from this knowledge after all.

Just a friendly pointer Buck.

M.

Well, Mattias, I don't really agree. I'm sure I wouldn't have been the only one to figure this out. And it's better that it's public knowledge, to my way of thinking, so that everyone is aware of the potential problem. The less scrupulous among us might discover that they can do this, and not let others know.

Agreed Buckeye (did I say that?) ... it's not going to be rocket science to figure this one out. While I wasn't really interested in figuring out a way to "unblind" a quick battle, it did occur to me that there was probably a way. No harm done that I see and it does bring up the issue.

Joe

Guest MantaRay

Well, I personally won't play with anyone who has to cheat to win a game. If I catch them, I will not play with them again. Plus, I am not very good and if you have to cheat against me to win, then you are pitiful.

If you lose, nothing bad will come of you, so why cheat?

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Well, we have different opinions on the matter, nothing new there.

However, and indeed nothing new here either, you have the privilege of being able to consider the other point of view, whereas the other side can do nothing more than hope that you will show such consideration.

Over and out.

M.

Thanks Mattias. I agree with you, it's really a matter of honor and trust. Personally, I agree with Manta, that it's no fun to win by cheating (must less to lose that way wink.gif ). But I still thought it worth bringing this problem to attention on the forum. On your advice, I did send BTS an e-mail, in case they didn't read this thread.

Buckeye,

1. You shouldn't have tested it on my file since:

a) even though I said what forces you were facing you did NOT know my start positions.

Now that you know my start positions you can shift forces around to counter my planned moves more easily since you know where I am aiming to strike.

B) I don't think you should have posted this to the forum since a LOT of people would never have tried to find a way to cheat but, once presented with a foolproof method, will give into their darker sides and take advantage.

So, basically, I think that what you did unbalances our PBEM game and that you should edit the post so that the info isn't available to those with weak moral characters.

Fionn: First, I didn't figure out a way to look at the location of your units, just happened to see what they were. If there's a way to do that, I didn't notice it. Because I don't know where you put your forces, I really don't think it unbalances our game.

Second, I hope you didn't mean to imply this, but I didn't come across this problem in an attempt to find out how to cheat. It just occurred to me it might be a problem, so I checked it out to see.

Third, I don't think that ignoring the problem will make it go away. I have let BTS know, and I hope they have a suggested fix. But I really doubt that I would be the only one who happened to notice this.

Finally, how would you propose I edit the post? I'd be glad to do so, but it's sort of like putting the genie back in the bottle (one that someone else would have opened if I hadn't, and perhaps not shared their insight).

Upon further reflection, and in response to Fionn and Mattias's responses, I have edited my initial post. It no longer explains how it is possible to cheat by viewing your opponent's unit selections in a PBEM game. I do not want to make it easier for anyone to cheat.

I also have sent a follow-up message to BTS, giving them my permission to delete the entire thread, if that is their preference. I certainly will defer to their judgment. However, I still think that not sharing the problem with the rest of the forum is akin to the ostrich sticking its head in the sand and hoping it won't be seen.

Posting a pssible cheat alert is a good thing to do. Posting how to go about doing the cheat is a bad thing.

The way your edited message reads no looks good. It informs that the is a way out there to cheat, so everyone watch out. It doesn't inform lazy uninspired cheaters free info on how to get intel in the game.

You should only document the step-by-step instructions to the programers so they can recreate the problem/cheat, and then program a fix.

Only thing I hate worse than someone who figures out a cheat and exploits it is the cheaters that are to lazy and dumb to figure out thier own cheats. smile.gif